15- Walls Come Down

Sunny's P.O.V

Almost immediately after I finished explaining everything to Hero and Kel, they were told to leave by one of the doctors.

Both Basil and I tried to protest, but to no avail. There was so much left unsaid after that... so much I still needed to hear. Wanted to hear.

I guess it'll have to wait...

A couple hours after Hero and Kel left, Basil was told to go back to his own room. He seemed uneasy about it, but never protested. Just gave me a quick hug and left.

Now I was alone with my thoughts, which as a general rule was a horrible idea.

It had only been two days and it seemed like my life was even more messy than before.

I had no idea it was going to get worse... a lot worse...

Aubrey's P.O.V

I was sitting alone, staring out at the lake at our old hideout spot.

I wasn't sure why I'd come there. I'd been trying to avoid the place ever since shoving Basil into the lake.

A subconscious part of my mind kept nagging, "You're really mad at what Sunny did to Mari? You almost did the same to Basil!"

While that part was technically right, I didn't listen. I needed to be mad for a while. Needed to feel hatred towards Sunny.

I kinda had for the past four years, for leaving everyone and shutting himself inside. I couldn't believe the nerve he had. I didn't know the full story then. I guess he was... scared.

Again, the rational part of my brain knew this, but the emotional did not care.

He killed my best friend, his sister! He let all of us believe she killed herself. For four years! How was that fair!? That he could just hole himself up inside with the truth, while we all suffered alone with something we thought was true!?

Which also tied into why I was mad at Basil. Why hadn't Basil told everyone? Why did he feel so obligated to keep Sunny's secret?

Oh who am I kidding, Basil would kill himself before telling Sunny's secret.

That thought set something into perspective. Something I'd always known, but hadn't fully realized.

He... really would do that...

Basil had said it yesterday, that if Sunny hadn't walked in that night, he would've killed himself. Basil was going to take that awful secret to his grave.

This only made me resent Sunny more. Basil was his best friend, how could he do that?

...

I suppose that's hypocritical. I let Basil suffer too. I caused a lot of it. I never tried to understand his fear, pain, loneliness, any of it. I could only focus on my anger towards what he'd done to the photo album.

Although I had reason now to assume that Sunny was really the one who defaced it...

All these thoughts really just made me hate Sunny more.

I groaned and threw a rock nearby into the lake.

That didn't satisfy me.

I threw another. And another. And another. And another and another and so many that my arm felt like it was about to fall off.

I stared up at the sky, panting, "Why!? Why did he take you away!?"

The adrenaline from my anger left me then as I collapsed back onto the soft grass and started sobbing.