2 - A Trip to London

*Slightly older voice*

It's been 5 years since my family died. Sometimes I get sad about it, like when I start to forget them, but my new family is always there for me. They're really nice! My new parents' names are Anne and Amos, but I call them mum and dad. They let me keep my first last name, but still treat me like one of the family; just as much as their biological son, Cedric.

Cedric and I get along really well! We like to play exploding snap and put on magical puppet shows. Sometimes we laugh so much with each other we wind up doing things to each other accidentally, like putting permanent smiles on each other's faces or swapping our voices. I'm usually the one who starts the chaos. Cedric is gentle but still knows how to have fun.

Mum homeschools Cedric and I and takes care of us while dad works at the Ministry with magical creatures. Mum's super gentle too, just like Cedric. People who don't know us and that I'm adopted think I get my personality from dad and my looks from mum while Cedric gets his looks from dad and his personality from mum. I don't remember my biological parents enough to know who I'm more like.

We don't see dad much. He works a lot. But whenever he does get time off, we make the most of it. We love to go on family adventures.

'We're going where?' Mum asked, shocked, as we all sat around the table in the kitchen. Cedric and I had equally shocked expressions as our mouths gaped.

'London!' Dad beamed, his hands proudly on his hips. 

Mum scoffed as she let out a slight chuckle. 'And how do you suppose we get to London?' She asked. 

'Portkey!' Dad answered readily. 

Mum's eyebrows furrowed. 'That...you'll make? Or there's already one set up?' She asked. 

'Colleague at work showed me one the other day we can use,' he assured her.

'Why can't we just get there through Diagon Alley?' Mum tutted. 

'This way will lead us out closer to where we need to be.' Dad insisted. 'And then we won't have to bother with anyone at the pub.' He crossed his arms, shifting his weight on his feet. 'I might still owe Cattermole for that bet.'

Mum sighed. 'But, Amos. We've only traveled by portkey a couple of times with the kids. Do you think they're ready to travel somewhere so...populous? What if we're spotted? They're only 8 and 9 years old, mind.'

We looked at dad as he smiled positively at us. 'I've got them, all of us. Don't you worry.'

***

That Saturday, the four of us were leaving home and dredging up to a secluded spot in the forest. We hadn't even gone very far when suddenly dad stopped and started looking for something under a pile of leaves. 'Here it is.'

We all stared at the empty tin can on the ground. I cocked my head at it. 'The others were...prettier,' I sighed. 'Well, it will take us where we need to be,' dad said. 'Right then, gather round.'

Cedric took my hand as I took the can with the other. 'Now. When I say let go, we'll be transported into an alleyway.' We started to spin, as did my stomach. 'Just remember to duck and cover as you land, loves.'

The light in our spinning vortex changed. 'Duck and cover, Amos? Serious-' Mum lost her grip on the can and shot off out of the vortex.

'Mum!' I yelled.

Cedric and I started to loosen our grasps. 'No!' Dad shouted. He moved one hand over the other on the can until he was in between us. 'Don't let go of her.' Cedric nodded. 'Now!'

We all let go of the can as Dad wrapped his arms around us. We came out in the alleyway, bouncing a couple times as dad took the brunt of it. Once we came to a stop, we stood up and brushed ourselves off. 'You two are alright?' We nodded, and he immediately took our hands, rushing out of the alley and down the streets of London.

'Dad?' Cedric asked. He didn't respond, anxiously focused on finding mum. We walked up and down streets, but we couldn't find her gentle, kind face anywhere. 'Dad?' He took us to one particularly desolate looking shop, letting go of my hand briefly to peer inside.

'Anne?' he called inside. It looked like a bar. The people inside turned to look at us.

'No underage wizards,' a man with more hair on the sides of his head called as he polished a glass.

We backed out of the bar and continued walking up the street, where cars were clogged up. The muggles inside the cars were angry, yelling out of their windows and making horn sounds come out of the cars. We followed the commotion. At the front car, we found mum, the muggle driver repeating as he spoke to some please-men how she just 'came out of nowhere.'