CHAPTER SEVEN

Even with the light on in the cool damp basement, the grayness of the day lurks over us. The basement isn't finished, but it still holds a certain charm. Grandma has one dedicated corner that's got walls painted a sea foam green. A rocker with her basket of knitting gear sits in the center of the small space. Well-crafted stained shelves take up the far wall, and a large square peach carpet to make it feel less like a basement.

Jaime and I sit on the carpet. Tupperware tubs surround us. He's beside me waiting for the command to open it. Resting my head on the light blue one in front of me I sigh. Come on, Nore, snap out of it. When did I become the heroine in this saga? I didn't ask for it and most certainly don't want it. Maybe I'm not, maybe it's Jaime.

"I can see steam coming from your ears. I know we don't know each other well but talk to me. Please. What are you thinking?"

"That this is bat shit crazy." I stare down at the box. "That it can't be real. They're folktales, not real life. I just - I can't wrap my head around it." I rub at my temples, still nursing this hangover.

"You're not fighting this alone. Okay? I'll do what I can to protect you and your grandma, maybe the nine cats too." He laughs, but it's short lived.

I want to ask how he knows, because I only told the masked man, but then I realize he's been here for a while and I'm sure they all sauntered in to investigate him at some point.

"Okay. I can do this. Looking through their things won't be hard, right? Won't stir up memories."

His hand rests on my shoulder and that gesture alone calms me enough to click open the top of the box. Inside are notebooks filled with what, I don't know. I stare up at him. "This might take a while."

"I don't mind." His words barely leave his lips, but he's watching with an intensity so strong that I swear his eyes grow a shade darker.

"Here goes nothing."

I pull out the first book, and he pulls out another. There are probably ten to fifteen journals. I'm glad to at least find them marked with dates. There are ones from my mom as a little girl, but those don't have much regarding the nightwalkers.

It's not until the ones marked 1993 when mom was eighteen do I find mention of it. I lose all track of time, the light outside never grows brighter, only darker with each passing hour. Grandma brings us lunch, and dinner. As the evening creeps in, the ambulance and sirens almost cease. The quiet isn't welcomed though, it makes everything scarier in a way.

A folded piece of paper flutters out of the book Jaime is reading. It's my father's, one he also wrote at around twenty. Jaime picks it up and unfolds it. In my peripheral I watch him scan it over. He's so focused, I almost think he's fallen asleep reading.

"You might want to look at this one."

He hands it over, a solemn look on his face.

My Dearest Jane,

I'm writing to you because it's too dangerous for us to be together. I'm going to dump the gem. I have to, it's the only way. If we - if we put them together one of us won't make it out alive. I can't live without you, I'm destroying it, if it's the last thing I do.

Love Always, Billy.

P.S. I want to know her when she's born. Send me the pictures. Please.

"Oh, I think I found something," he says, but I'm not listening, I'm busy obsessing over the fact that dad left. Was he there when I was born? I always remember him being there.

"Nore. Hey." His hand grazes my cheek.

My head snaps to him.

"Um. Can I read this journal entry out loud? Is that okay?" he asks wearily.

"Yeah."

He clears his throat before beginning. "I never dumped the gem. I can't tell Jane. I gave it to the only person I could trust with it, my best friend. He doesn't live here anymore, so I drove over three-thousand miles to find him. If the gem is not here, then maybe, just maybe we can live a normal life amongst the nightwalkers. It's not them we have to worry about. I'm heading back to be with my wife and daughter. I need them. It hurts to be a part. I pray this works."

He sets down the paper and pours his attention onto the ring on his finger, then with his other hand he reaches out for my necklace. I let him. I allow the back of his hand to touch my chest as he fiddles with the golden cocoon filled with the spinel.

"Why did you apply to work at Ruby Creek high?" I ask.

Neither of us look away. His hand is still touching the gem and pressed against my chest. "It was on a whim. I'd been working a few towns over just to get a break from here, but something drew me back in."

"Something?"

"Um - I think I have something you need to see. We'd have to go across town to my place, but I think -it might help. And then." Stopping he releases his hand from the necklace, but never fully removes it from my body. "And then maybe we can look at this bigger picture of what we have to do."

"So, we're just going to storm through the streets of a locked down town and somehow save the day?"

"Well, when you put it that way-" There's a hint of laughter in his voice.

My lips twitch, wanting so badly to smile and feel the high of last night, but it's a struggle.

"Yeah. Okay. Do you think my grandma will be safe by herself?"

"We won't be long. It's almost night, and you've got this."

His hand is back on the necklace. He holds it up. Staring at it I take a moment to let everything sink in.

"Is that how - like when I passed out in the hallway or at the funeral - is that what kept them away? Your ring?"

He nods, again dropping the necklace from his grasp. "Yeah. I think so. I discovered it a few days before I met you. I think it might be what will help us fix this. The ones who walk in daylight, should not be."

For a few lingering heartbeats there's only silence.

"If it makes you feel any better, I'm terrified too."

"Was it you..."

His brows narrow and his body moves a smidge closer to mine. "Is what me?"

I take a moment ready to ask if the masked man who kissed me, who had his hands all over me was him.

"Nothing. Never mind. We should clean up and head out."

While we are packing things away, I grab one of mom's journals and hold it against me. "I haven't gotten to this one yet," I say.

Henods like he gets it, gets to his feet, and holds a hand for me to take. Ireach up and he pulls me up and into him. I gasp when our bodies touch. Hiswarmth, that warmth, it had to be him. I don't ask any more questions, weprepare grandma and make sure every door and window is locked. Then as nightfalls, we slip out of the house in hopes that our next destination will tell usall we need to know.