CHAPTER 42 - Hope for something better

Rebeeka

The days passed like hours. Night and day alternated so hastily that we didn't even get to notice that all the Christmas and New Year holidays had passed. We spent them in the family. The four of us together. Spring knocked on our door. Max was visited by his friend Mura. Alexei was very opposed to her arrival, but Max wouldn't even hear her postpone the trip, no matter how dangerous it was. I had a feeling he wanted her by his side, and she wouldn't let her come home so easily. There's a lot more between them than he wants to say. I see her looks in love and her stolen kisses when they think no one sees them.

Alexei very often traveled between Moscow and Hrjachev. When he arrived, he would close with Anastasia and Max at the office and discuss security measures and work out a plan to catch Gulietta. I didn't like the plan, but I wasn't asked anything anyway. With my stomach to my chin, I couldn't help absolutely anything, and it made me very angry, because they would just push me into a corner and shut me up, comforting me that nothing bad would happen. There was a growing sense of restlessness in me every day. My instincts told me not to let them on this insane quest. Something bad is going to happen. I will pray to all possible gods and saints for their safety.

Alexei is about to make his way to London for some kind of meeting regarding our security for a trip to open a branch there. Everyone was in a hurry and had such enthusiasm that I envied them. I felt so nudged into a corner and unnecessary. Lately, I've been focusing on preparing the room and all the supplies for kids who are about to arrive. My stomach swelled to impossible proportions.

We were joined at the castle by Dr. Viktor and Babushka Oksana, two other people who held me back in my life at Alexei's command. Everyone in the castle was on my heels constantly telling me I needed to rest and eat more. Dr. Viktor trained one room in his left wing for the hospital room, where he crammed various medical devices inside and prepared everything for childbirth. Sometimes I was afraid of this man, in me he aroused the urge to oppose. Sometimes he seemed very arrogant when I adored Babushka Oksana. I've had a little support in it. I wanted my mother and sisters. I wished for my old life without problems or worries. I wished I could move freely where my heart wanted. Alexei still wouldn't let me go past ten yards from the castle.

The movement in my stomach moved me out of thinking. The pain started from the lower back on the spine like someone was opening me up. My stomach hardened in seconds and the pain pulled a scream out of my chest. Alexei and Max flew into the room within seconds.

"What's going on? Are you okay?"

I folded at the waist clinging to the bed:

"I think the contractions have begun! Alexei, this seems really fast!"

"Call Viktor urgently to prepare! I'll take it to the room where the infirmary is! Quick!"

He lifted me into his arms and rushed through the castle, while Max was on his heels, opening the door we were passing through. In the blink of an eye, I found myself laid out on a bed in the infirmary where the doctor was already ready with an ultrasound and everything else for childbirth.

"Please get everyone out of the infirmary so I can check on the patient!"

"I'm not going anywhere!" replied Alexei hard, not moving from the spot.

Max turned on his heel and left the room, but through an open door I saw where he brought the chair and sat right next to the door. The doctor walked up to the door and closed it. He came up to me and grabbed my arm. He measured my pulse. When he was done with it, a babushka came into the room, and she approached the bed slightly stroking my hair: