Torchwood

Rose fell to her knees as she turned to watch the TARDIS disappear. She knew that anything could happen and that that might have been the last time she heard that horribly beautiful whirring noise. But she also knew that she had to get off of the TARDIS before he noticed anything was off; she had only begun to not even a week ago.

After a few moments, she felt something stir in the pit of her stomach that caused her to gag as kneel again she tried to stand. She heard footsteps running up behind her and closed her eyes. I’m such an idiot, she thought, I should have just said something.

“Rose?!” she heard another familiar voice. This one was the American accent of who could only be Captain Jack Harkness. “Rose, is that you?”

“Jack--”she quickly stood and turned, just to lose her balance and be caught by him.

“Whoa, Rose, are you okay?” he asked, helping her stand again. “I heard the TARDIS engines, but where is it?”

“I’m fine, I think. He’s not here this time, it’s just me.”

“Really? What’s he looking like these days?”

“Same as last time you saw him.”

“Brown hair and…”

“Yeah.”

“Boring.” Jack rolled his eyes.

“You think so?” she said, stifling a laugh.

“What can I say?” he said and shrugged. “But, uh, why are you here? I mean, this is your own time and everything, but--”

“The Doctor and I, we’ve been together every day for the past five years and I just thought that we needed a little time apart. Just a few weeks or so.”

“Is there anyone else with you? You know how he gets…” As Jack spoke, she realized that she wasn’t just an idiot, but also incredibly selfish. Rose hadn’t thought about how the Doctor would fare during this, he could barely handle staying in bed while she was still asleep.

"No, it was just me and him." She dug her heel into the ground.

"Okay." Jack nodded. There was obviously something that she wasn't telling him.

"Can I go back with you? To Torchwood, I mean."

"Sure, but don't you want to go home first?"

"No, I kind of have a big favor to ask. And aren't we in Cardiff?"

"Good point."

During the walk back to Torchwood III, Rose and Jack made small talk that was more awkward this time than the first.

"You can stay for a little if you want... We have a pterodactyl and a waterfall."

"I'm not going to ask how or why."

"It's best that way." He cracked a smile.

“You’re probably right.” Rose smiled back.

“Hungry?” Jack asked, pointing in the relative direction of a pizza shop.

“Uh, yeah,” Rose said quietly. She always hated when people offered to buy her food, but she was hungry.

“Okay. You can walk to the headquarters,” this time he pointed down and across from the pizza shop, “It’s not far, just a couple of minutes that way. Just if you want, though. I know it’ll take a while for the pizzas, it always does.”

“Alright,” she said, quite uneasily, “How do I get in?”

“Well, first, go in through the lobby and say that I sent you. If that doesn’t work, just wait outside.”