26. The weight of your words

A/N: Apologies dear readers for the wait. I have had the most stressful month at work this March with some work days being 16-17 hours long. Finally got some time to breath and got around to updating!

"CHAE"

"CHAE"

"CHAERIN, open the door kid. Please tak to mom and dad", her father yelled from outside the door. "Dad made your favorite pasta. Will you not even have a bite?"

No response. Shin Si Mok looked at his wife as their daughter refused to talk to them. Just two days ago she had come home completely disheveled and told them that everything between her and Jungkook was over. No explanation or reason was given. Ever since that they barely saw her. She refused to eat and locked herself up in her room.

"CHAE—"

"Si Mok", his wife called out. "Let her be. You know her. She won't talk until she wants to. Give her some time"

The man walked away dejected as he put the plate with the food at the table. He placed himself beside his wife as he held her hand. "What do you think happened? Jungkook won't pick up my calls either. Should I try visiting his house and asking him?"

"No don't do that", the woman replied, voice broken and soft. "You know she will get mad if she finds out you talked to him. She clearly told us not to ask Jungkook about the break up. It seems they ended on an ugly note and now she wants nothing to do with him anymore"

"Do you think any of her people know? Alison? Or Jimin? Or Jennie? She always tells them everything"

"I met Jimin yesterday when I went to visit my sister. He did not ask me anything about the break up and he looked pretty jolly. Jennie would have called me if she knew something was up. I don't think think Alison knows either"

Inside the room, Chaerin sat by her window as she looked outside to the garden. She curled up her feet as she kept staring at the evening sun. Her eyes were swollen red and tears dried on her face. It was stark silent and her breathing was the only sound heard.

She looked at her phone partly in hope and partly in anger. She wished Jungkook would text or call her and tell her he made a mistake or something so she could yell at him and tell him she did not want to be with him anymore. But that would also mean she could listen to his voice and talk to him.

"Where did it all go wrong?", she spoke to herself.

She looked at her phone again but this time opened the call log. No missed calls from Alison. Chaerin was surprised that her best friend did not return any of her calls. In this time, she was the only one the woman could talk to. She pressed the number again and it sent her to a voice mail.

Quickly she opened her inbox. Areum, call when you can. I have to talk to you.

She hoped Alison would see the use of 'Areum' in her text and figure out it was urgent. That was their thing. A code word of some sorts.

She put the phone away as she played with her cushion. Her eyes fell on the photo frame of her and Jungkook that she had a day ago threw across the room in anger. The glass shreds still lay on the floor there which caused her to sigh. "I should clean this up", she mumbled to herself.

Getting up, she grabbed the broom and began sweeping. She collected the pieces as she disposed them off. At the end the picture remained. She picked it up as she stared at it for a minute before crumpling it and tossing it to the trash can.

Her mind went restless which made her crawl towards the bin and grab the picture again. She removed and straightened it before looking at it. Jungkook's smiling face stared back and within seconds droplets of tears fell on it.