01 | Elevator

CHAPTER ONE
Raelynn

MY MOM AND dad are currently downstairs.

I don't know what to do, I wish I hadn't told them my address, I wish they didn't hound me every single day about the lies I've told them.

The lies they don't know are lies, that is.

I grip my phone as I struggle I slip my sock on.

"Oh honey, I can't wait to meet you and that boyfriend. I can't believe it! Ugh," she laughs, "You're so grown up and finally settling down after all the stuff I had to go through with you in high school. Do you remember the boys and the argumen--"

"Mom," I say, cutting her off before she began strolling down memory lane.

My non-existent boyfriend, I made him up around a year ago. If someone asked me how I got so far buried under my own lie, I wouldn't be able to answer them. Nope.

"Haven't we taught you that it's rude to interrupt people, Raelynn? Have manners, you haven't seen me in a year and you're already disrespectful."

I grind my teeth, closing my eyes as I shuffle on my shoes. "Sorry, mom. I just have to tell you something when I get down there."

She sighs sadly and speaks to my father, though I can still hear her through the phone. "I knew this was coming, they broke up, I bet you." It's barely auditable but I still hear it and it makes my skin burn with anxiety.

I always let them down. Her more than dad. This, me getting a new apartment and moving in with my new "boyfriend" was something they were finally praising me about.

Sometimes I just wish I had it as easy as Gia, my older sister. She's getting married and it's all everyone in this family ever talks about. Especially my mom. Gia this, and Gia that. 'Raelynn, when are you going to settle and get married like Gia?' And, 'Raelynn don't get pregnant with some dead-beat again, abortions aren't free y'know, we never had this problem with Gia'.

"I'll see you downstairs mom, bye." I hang up before she can get another word of disappointment out.

I grab my keys from the bowl that sits beside the door and look in the mirror hanging on the wall beside me. It's curly, wild, and a God damn mess. I pull the purple scrunchie from my wrist and collect the ringlets that end at my boobs into a high ponytail.

That'll have to do, I'm bound to get at least one comment from mom about how my hair is a mess, but I couldn't care less at the moment.

I open my front door and slide my phone in my overalls. One of the straps stays unbuttoned, showing the white shirt under. The print on it states fuck off.

Hopefully, my mom gets the hint.

Walking towards the elevator, I click the button, calling it down. My hand fiddles with the rings on my hands. I always hate meeting with my parents. It makes me so nervous and itchy and anxious.

The ding of the elevator arrival yanks me from my thoughts and the doors open, allowing me to walk in. I press the L, for the lobby, and the doors close.

23 floors and around a minute till I have to face them. I can do this, I can tell mom I'm boyfriendless and the past year I didn't actually do all the romantic things I told her I did.

The elevator stops at floor 22, the one right below mine. The steel doors open but I'm too busy looking at the ground and stressing over the exact words I'm going to say to mom to care about the person that entered. My head hurts from the stress, I need a fucking icebath after this visit.