02 | Gentleman

CHAPTER TWO
Raelynn

"LOOK WHO'S CHECKING who out now," I say, shifting away from him and crossing my arms over my breast.

He chuckles. "You got me. Only difference between me and you is that I'd admit to checking out someone I find attractive. You clearly won't."

This guy, who I have yet to learn his name, is bolder than any man I've met before. Confident also, too confident if you ask me.

I stand up, ignoring the pounding in my head and the lack of breath from my dry throat. God, I need to get the hell out of here.

"Thanks. But I pass." I breath out, long deep breaths following.

He stands up as well and in front of me, tilting his head. How is his face just so— "Pass on what?"

I look at him. His brows are thick, but maintained and they're drawn together.

I wave a hand around between us. "Your sad attempt at hitting on me. I pass." I smile bitterly.

He barks out a laugh and I squint my eyes. "Love, just because I flirt with you doesn't mean I want you."

I press my lips together, my brows jumping up. "Wow. Charming. You really won me over with that one."

He smiles at me, crooked and almost condescendingly. If I was Raelynn before two years ago in college and high school, that comment of his might've hurt me. Would've hurt me, actually. Todays Raelynn is different, I'm not careless and obsessed with the opposite gender anymore. I'm not out past three in the morning getting drunk. I'm not having careless sex with anyone who much as flirts with me. It's not me anymore. It hasn't been for two years. And this guy, who ever he is, won't break my streak.

No guys, or boyfriends—besides the perfect flawless one I made up for my family—are allowed to distract me.

No matter how... tempting they are.

A beep breaks our silence. "Sorry for the inconvenience, elevator is up and running and will be moving again shortly." A helper guy speaks through the speaker where you press the floor buttons.

I sigh a breath of relief.

"See, told you it'd be done quickly," No-Name says. I cross my arms, choosing to ignore him as the elevator travels down. The glowing descending numbers keep my attention.

Then a ding sounds, the doors open.

On the far end of the lobby my mom and dad sit in the chairs, a book in moms hand and dad looking over her shoulder to read it. They both wear casual clothing to accommodate with this warm April weather.

I immediately feel pressure on me, on my chest, my head, my heart.

Please, don't be disappointed in me.

I leave No-Name in the elevator, forgetting his existence with each of my steps towards the middle aged people in front of me. Their brown skin shines in the light above and my mother looks up at me above her glasses.

She gasps and smiles, "Raelynn!" She stands up and so does dad, but I try not to meet his eyes. Me and dad haven't been on very good terms for quite some time now.