Untitled Part 2

I know you wanted a boy," Conrad whispered, studying his wife.

"I wanted a healthy baby," she corrected, her gaze on the newborn infant.

"Victoria, you aren't your mother. You don't need sons to prove it. You're an amazing mother." She opened her mouth, but shut it. She had no response. He was right. Her hesitation at having a daughter was from her own upbringing. Conrad not only remembered the few mentions of her mother, but he had paid enough attention to connect the dots. Her attention moved to the doorway where Liam stood, one green eye poking inside her room. She smiled and he jumped into her bed.

"This is your sister, Charlotte," Victoria whispered. She tilted herself so he could see his sisters face. She kissed the top of his head. Liam looked from Conrad to Victoria nervously.

"You?" He pointed to Conrad, glancing back between Charlotte and Conrad.

"Yes, she's mine. And hers," he pointed to Victoria.

"She's part of the family. Like you and your brother," she smiled sweetly. Conrad had been adamant that Liam be raised knowing he was adopted. Still, she knew he was more connected to Charlotte than anyone could ever know. "Nothing will change, Liam. We are your parents," she repeated.

Charlotte began fussing, waving her tiny fists and demanding attention. "Why don't I change her. You and Liam can spend time together," Victoria offered, still trying to work on bonding them.

"Mommy," Liam pouted, his lower lip pushing out. She watched Conrad's eyes lower. He was a proud man, but it didn't take much to hurt his feelings.

"I'll change her. You spend time with Liam," Conrad said quickly, carefully placing the girl in his arms and leaving with her.

should cancel," Victoria blurted, studying herself in the mirror. "Charlotte is too young..."

"Charlotte is old enough. The doctor said she could have stayed one weekend with my parents months ago."

"She isn't even a year," she scoffed.

"Vic," Conrad started. "She'll be fine. And Daniel is at his friends house."

"Your parents used to take Liam," she frowned, her lips pressed tightly. "Until Charlotte."

"I wanted to spend time with him anyway," Conrad said. He felt slightly guilty. He was nervous to be alone with the boy but he knew it was what Victoria needed to hear.

"I won't feel comfortable," she muttered, looking down. He lifted her chin with one finger, his blue eyes twinkling.

"Victoria, you had a baby months ago. And you're wearing the clothes you wore before you were pregnant."

"They're this season," she said so defensively that he laughed.

"Victoria, it's a spa weekend. You deserve it."

She studied her reflection, the insecurities obvious behind her eyes. "She's prettier than me," she whispered.

Conrad spun her around, studying her. "Lydia?" He whispered. "Sure, she's a beautiful woman. But so are you." She studied him. She had caught glimpses of Lydia around her husband and she knew he had a habit of infidelity. After all, that was how she squeezed her way inside his life. The changes in her body since the pregnancy only added to the tension of her affair with David Clarke and her worries about Conrad bonding with Liam. She had lost control of her body and she wasn't sure she could handle losing control, even for a girls retreat. "You can stay here," he offered. "We'll get a sitter for Liam and spend the weekend by the fire..." he pushed her hair to the side, kissing the sensitive skin on her neck. He felt her body warm for a second before she pulled away.