Untitled Part 4

Daniel!" Billy yelled, racing up to the boy who was once a friend. "Everyone is talking about Liam's 16th birthday party..." They were now seniors in high school with very different lives. When Conrad fired Billy's father, it started a chain of events. His parents divorced and his mother came crawling to Victoria for help. Victoria had no qualms about revealing the problems were the result of Billy. It didn't take long for her to send Billy to his Grandmothers while she flew to L.A. and married another wealthy investment banker. It was only Victoria's scholarship that allowed him to stay at the private school. Half the time she suspected she had given it to him because she felt guilty. Half of the time she wondered if she wanted him to suffer each time he saw her children.

Daniel pushed Billy, which made other students laugh and chant terrible nicknames. "Don't ever say my brothers name again, loser." Daniel didn't stop there. He lunged at the boy, physically assaulting him until Liam pulled his brother off. As he stood, Daniel spit on his enemy. "I don't know why a loser like him is even talking to someone like us."

"Don't be a bully," Liam sighed, hating the entitlement his older brother felt.

At home, Victoria was barking orders to anyone who would listen. She wanted the party to be perfect for her birthday boy. The tables had navy tablecloths with gold centerpieces.

"Victoria, let's have a drink," Conrad suggested, rubbing her shoulders. "You're so tense."

"It just needs to be perfect," she bit her lip, still worrying about each detail. He grabbed her waist, spinning her so she looked at him. "He doesn't have many friends," she whispered. He began to sway her body, knowing she loved to dance.

"He's gotten 300 of these non-friends to attend," he reminded her.

"I want him to have a good life," she said, glancing around.

"Baby, he's got the best mother in the entire world. I think our son is just fine." His words elicited her dimples as the corners of her mouth turned into a soft smile.

"I forgot how distracting you could be," she raised an eyebrow.

Later that night, the music was blaring and the party was underway. Conrad had given Victoria enough wine that she relaxed, curling into him to watch a movie. Charlotte was kissing an upperclassman in Liam's class. Daniel had snuck his girlfriend into the pool house for some alcohol and sex. And the birthday boy had been forgotten. He stood outside so long, all alone that he realized his classmates wanted to party. They didn't want to celebrate his birthday.

He walked along the beach, kicking sand every few steps.

"What's a boy like you doing all alone?" A deep voice called out. Liam jumped, turning to see Frank. Frank had worked for his family for years and Liam always noticed the way he hovered over his mother. He couldn't blame him, really. He didn't find women attractive, but there was no denying that Victoria Grayson was a flawlessly beautiful creature. Still, he loved his parents together and wanted Frank to steer clear of her.

"I'm the birthday boy. My birthday is anywhere I am," he said sarcastically.

"Your siblings are both keeping things hot and heavy with their dates. I expected the same of you 

My brother and sister have both already had their first kiss," he said dryly.

"You've never been kissed?" Frank asked. "I had one present for you, but maybe I'll give you two. Every man needs a first kiss," he chuckled.

"What was the first present?" He fired back with his mothers banter. Frank pulled out a beautiful ring, plastered with tiny emeralds that formed his initials. "Frank! I don't know what to say!"