Abyss

I was completely lost in the maze of short, narrow old streets of the city and yet I couldn't bring myself to stop running. Some of them were bustling with nightlife, decently lit not only by light posts along the sidewalks but also by open stores and bars. I did my best to avoid hitting anyone and anything in my crazed race against time but every now and then I bumped into someone.

Jane's words echoed in my head, the playfulness in them only adding to the horror of what they suggested.

Please, Alec, don't go through with it, don't hurt my Luke.

I prayed and hoped but I didn't truly expect Luke to be alright. With every minute I spent looking for either one of the two the less real hope I had of ever seeing Luke again. I was running aimlessly, feeling the tears on my face being wiped away by the wind as I crossed the center of the city.

After what felt like hours I reached emptier streets, shorter and darker. A lot of them didn't even go anywhere, they would just abruptly become a wall. I would have to turn around and run back to where I came from and most of the time I couldn't even remember where I came. My feet started to hurt from running on stones with sandals, I became tired and began to trip on the hem of my long skirt.

Just when I was getting used to turning around a corner and finding yet another completely deserted street I ran into an alley and found Alec standing a few meters away, engulfed by shadows.

I nearly tripped over myself and fell down.

"Alec" I breathed out with relief and barely saw a smile spreading across his face under the dim light coming from the post he was leaning against.

"Looking for me?"

I hesitated for just long enough to check him for any sign that he had hurt Luke and when I found none I ran to him. He was dressed in some type of uniform, much like the first time I saw him passing by inside of a car all those months earlier. He was perfectly clean and composed, not a hair out of its place, and I felt the heaviness of my worries leaving my shoulders. I threw myself at him forgetting all about his true nature and the hardness of his body for a few seconds, unloading the tension I had accumulated in my desperate search for Luke. He immediately embraced me and buried his face in my hair.

"God, I thought I would never find any of you. I was so worried" I whispered against the cool skin of his neck and he removed his face from my hair to look at me.

All the air left my lungs.

He kept his arms around me even as I put mine on his chest, open palms pressed against him so that my fingers rested on the fabric covering his collarbone. I was caged but it made no difference because when I met his gaze I stared right into his very crimson eyes and froze in place. His face was as close to mine as it could be without touching and in the moments I stood there completely static with shock his cold breath hit me repeatedly. I knew I would become irrational as soon as I inhaled it but I had to breathe eventually so I tried to break free to move away from him.

He wouldn't let me.

"Don't be afraid."

It was pointless to say that and he probably knew it. Fear took over me in instants and I squirmed to try to break his hold on me. He sighed in annoyance and grabbed me by my hair, his other arm still holding me firmly in place.

"Marina," he said as if talking to a spoilt child who was throwing a tantrum, "calm down before you hurt yourself."

I swallowed dry, feeling an uncomfortable lump in my throat. I gave into my need to breathe and allowed my lungs to be filled with Alec's delicious smell.