TWENTY-NINE

I pulled down my tight black combat issued tank top and pulled up the accompanying spandex shorts. The shorts were not that different from the volleyball pair I used to wear. I immediately remembered the way my legs felt while sitting in Kyler's buttery leather truck seats, but pushed the vision out of my head as quickly as it arrived. Apparently Protectors don't care about getting naked in front of each other so all the locker rooms and rest rooms in The Loft were unisex, and I was one of the last people in the combat locker room. I pulled my curled hair back into a ponytail for the third time on top of my head and still felt it wasn't right. I knew I was stalling, but at this point, I would rather have Steve, the weird prospect stare, at my boobs for a third time than finally meet Kyler face to face for the first time in months.

"You're stalling," Avery groaned at me. He lounged on a dressing bench on his stomach, his legs crossed above him, hands supporting his chin. He pretended not to notice as the few other remaining male protectors eyed him seductively. Avery could wear a brown paper bag and still look incredible. His black athletic shorts fit a little too snug around the crotch and were a little short up his thighs, while his black tank top showcased his defined ebony biceps.

"No, I'm not," I lied, finally pleased with the ponytail. I stepped back and looked at the rest of my reflection, hyperaware and critical of how the skin on the back of my arms wiggled as I lowered them.

"Whatever you say, darling," Avery said, exasperated with me and stood slowly, stretching his arms above his head.

"Feel free to go. That is unless you want to help me change my tampon," I lied to him again, thinking this would finally get him to leave the room.

"Hell to the no, bitch. The only strings I pull around here are the ones that get me contraband pizza," Avery said with a wink and a spin on his heels. "I'll meet you outside." He tossed a halfhearted wave and pushed through the double doors with his super speed. I smiled and was suddenly quite grateful for a friend like Avery. After my apparent bad judgment of character with Beth, he was a breath of fresh air and I was glad he was in my life. I glanced back to my reflection in the mirror and sighed. I pulled my hair from the ponytail and tried again.

After I successfully applied strawberry tinted chapstick, a thick coat of mascara, twelve layers of deodorant, and a crunchy film of hairspray to a ponytail of appropriate height, I forced myself to vacate the locker room with seconds to spare before the class started. I was shocked to find the other Academy hopefuls still gathered in the hallway, and upon my appearance, they all turned and stared at me. My stomach dropped, instantly unsure of myself. I knew it was too much hairspray. I stared back at them, but noticed they weren't looking at me, they were looking past me, with racing hearts and mouths ajar. I turned slowly, preparing myself for what I would find, but nothing could possibly prepare me. My heart slammed into my chest, crashing against my ribs like a giant title wave. Kyler Isaacs. In all his glorious flesh.