XLIV. Yet Again

While staring at a group picture through his phone, Jungwon stared at Minji. But even if it's only just a little bit, it's obvious that he likes her.

That feeling one gets when they stare at their happy crush.

That light feeling inside your chest.

That feeling unbound by love and all things serious.

Jungwon liked that feeling but had no intention of turning that puppy love into actual love - not yet.

The last relationship he had was nothing but lies laid right in front of his eyes. It was a waste of his time and effort - a moment in his life that irked him every time he remembers.

But Minji - she's different. Those days she stood by his door and waited for him to come back - by just one act, or should we say many, she proved to be far better than the girl Jungwon was last with.

She certainly is worthy of Jungwon's devotion. But not now, not yet.

*beep*

Someone had just sent him a text. From the pop-up notification, he saw the entire message.

He stared at it for a while, before clearing it from the notification tab, ignoring it completely.

He looked at the clock on his phone - 11:45 AM. Just a few minutes before lunch, his stomach is already rumbling. With instant noodles nowhere to be found in his cupboard, he decides to go outside and find a good place to eat.

---

After walking around for a few minutes, he just remembered that he was running low on money.

He only had one source of income - an allowance given to him as part of his scholarship, a scholarship that no one but him knows about. All his friends just assumed that his money is 'from his parents back in Japan.'

He has to wait for another week to get more money, so he can't spend a huge amount just for a restaurant meal all for himself.

"Convenience store food. That will do." he thought to himself.

After entering the nearest convenience store he could find, he quickly walked around inside to look for those he wanted.

Gimbap, tteokbokki, and a bottle of banana milk were enough for him.

On the way to the cashier, he came across the same face he had stared at earlier - Hwang Minji.

"Minji, what are you doing here?" he asks her.

Minji immediately recognized whose voice that is, turning her head to see Jungwon.

"My apartment building is right on this street. Shouldn't I be the one asking what you're doing here?" she giggled.

There it is again. Her smile made him smile on the inside. And her laugh, it's contagious.

"Ahhh, I was looking for a place to eat earlier and I ended up all the way here, only to remember I don't have enough money for a restaurant meal." Jungwon replied.

"Ohh, so you're just like me - resorting to convenience store food after realizing your plan is cancelled." she said, shaking a bottle of banana milk in her hand.