Chapter 3

Trevon Carter

I was almost done with my work day when I received a text that filled me with dread and was going to change my entire weekend.

Kylie: Leo and I just landed at the airport. Come pick us up.

At no point in time had my sister or her husband told me they were coming to see me let alone that they would need to be picked up at the airport. I knew they would want to stay with me and I did have a spare bedroom. This wasn't the first time Kylie had done this to me and Brittany and her husband had done it to me before too.

Me: Take an uber or a taxi to my apartment. I'm still working. And next time give me warning that you are coming into town.

Kylie: Warning? I'm your sister, you're supposed to love spending time with me. Now come pick us up.

I decided to ignore the love spending time with my sister part.

Me: I can't leave work yet so unless you want to wait until I'm finished, take a taxi.

Kylie: Fine. But unless you want to give me a key to your apartment in the future, you better meet us at your apartment soon. I'm not going to stand outside your door looking like an idiot.

I didn't even want to imagine what kind of trouble she could cause while waiting for me. I quickly finished what I was working on, set up the coding for the night and left. When I pulled into the parking lot of my apartment building, I remembered I was supposed to have a date with Janelle tomorrow night. I parked and called her.

It went to her voicemail. I glanced at the time and realized she would be teaching a class at this time of day. I left her a message, "It's Trevon. Sorry but I'm going to have to cancel our plans for tomorrow night. Could you please send me a text to let me know that you got this message? Don't call. I had some family members come into town unexpectedly and I'm going to have to give them my full attention."

My family knew I was in an open relationship. My parents and grandpa thought I was crazy. Of course my sisters and their husbands were all for it.

I steadied myself before I made my way to my apartment. Kylie and Leo were outside the door. Kylie was standing with her back against the wall. Leo was facing her with his hands on her hips and his lips on her neck.

"Please stop," I said, "my neighbors don't need to see that."

"They aren't,'' Kylie said as Leo pulled away, "No one is out here but us."

"But they could be at any moment," I said as I went to unlock the apartment door, "and you wouldn't stop even if you had spectators."

"No," Kylie said easily, "but you wouldn't either if it was you and Arthur."

I paused right before I opened the door because she was right. I didn't admit that out loud though.

I held the door open for Kylie and then for Leo as he followed her with their bags.

"To what do I owe the honor of this visit," I said. I tried to not make it sound sarcastic, but it was obvious by the tone of my voice and the looks that Kylie and Leo gave me that I had failed.

"Your sisters want to make sure you have an appropriate tux for Jasmine's wedding," Leo said.

"I do," I said. I stepped past them and into the kitchen. I was hungry after a long day of work. The light of the fridge hit me as I opened the door to see what I could make for dinner.

"A new one," Kylie said as she followed me into the kitchen. "Not an old one."

I sighed.

"See," Kylie said to Leo. "I knew he wouldn't have an appropriate tux. We're going tux shopping tomorrow," she said to me.