Evening Storm

The sudden pelting of raindrops falling from the sky. Soaking up the dusty and shrivelled dirt, flooding the pavement with its own rushing currents. And to listen to how it smashes against anything that dares to not take cover. With the darkened skies and blowing winds, you can almost anticipate when it was going to come. You close your eyes and take it in. With the memories that you will drown in and the nostalgia that you will get overwhelmed with. It does not last long. It never does. But you still relish every moment as if it's the last.

Down the memory lane, you go, it all courses through your mind. Back to the earliest memories, where you had only been a toddler. Playing with your toys with an innocent smile on your face. You ran and pushed your nose against the cold window as you watched the chaos ensuing outside. Right where you are safe and sound. After a while, you seemed to lose interest and went back to your toys but with the new profound energy and adrenaline pumping in your veins. Close that door and take a step back. It's time for the next little trip.

Let's look at the more recent ones now, shall we? The recurring times where you had been sitting on a chair, homework out and sprawled all across your desk. You take a moment to look up and take a deep breath, relaxing those tensed muscles. Signing, you looked back on how the world was so simple before secondary school had started and things started to get a lot more complicated. But never mind that now, contemplating about it won't help you get any work done. Heads down and pen back in hand. Back to where you had left off.

Pitter-patter against the umbrella, you walked on along the pavement. Seeing teenagers and children hurrying pass by, drenched to their cores and protecting their snacks underneath their soaking shirts. Friends and families walking along, laughing amongst themselves about things you'll never know. A modest smile graced your face as you strolled along, humming a song underneath your breath. With small drizzles of the rain, splashes of footsteps in puddles, and the usual hums on a rainy day. The scenery faded and the people disappeared, voices and chatters dissolved into silence. Only you remained, walking along, to the next memory.

Your eyes snapped back open. Into reality, in front of the computer, the storm gone. The essence of nostalgia still lingers in the air. Of the wet soil and the moist atmosphere. You take a deep breath, inhaling the air as the memories wash away. The skies now darkened, the street lamps switched on, and the house quiet with the occasional whir of air-conditioning. Crickets playing their joyful music, rustling leaves, all is lost in the world outside your window. Now the streets are silent and it is time for some work to be efficiently finished. Eyes back, hands working.