Rain and Thunder

You can hear the rain drizzling outside. Gentle, but persistent. Just like an ever-lasting moment. You close your eyes and breathe in, taking in the beauty nature had gifted us. You can smell the faint wet grass and the drenched soil, memories of playing in small puddles gathered up in the crevices of the ground, both concrete and the earth. Holding a clear umbrella, dressed in a yellow raincoat, kicking and jumping with an utter joy and excitement a small child would have.

The rain started getting harder. It changes. You sat there, under the big oak tree, it may not provide much shelter, but it does give you a sense of undeniable peace. An invisible force rests a few thirty centimeters or so above your head, it was large enough to shield both you and the book you are holding plus a few more meters around you for some space. You got lost in the book, feeding on the words and dived into the world of unspoken escape from reality.

The rain now pours freely. Each drop pelted down like bullets, crashing onto rooftops, fields and anything and everything in between. There’s a new profound strength and power coursing through your veins. With the sudden thunder pounds extra adrenaline. But there’s also a lingering sadness and tranquillity left amidst all the chaos for you know the outcome. Pulled inside by your mother, you now watch the others outside, having fun and living life to the fullest, relishing in the beauty nature has gifted us.

After a few hours, the rain is now back to a drizzle. With the memories faded away from the windowsill, you are now left with the lingering emptiness drilled into your hollow heart. You looked away from the fogged up glass towards the pleasantly cosy bustling living room where your siblings and father competed in a game of extreme monopoly. Your mother, however, was gracefully folding some laundry by the table with some carnations that dad had bought for her last Saturday.

You quickly rushed over, taking a little detour to grab a clear vase from one of the shelves, and scooped up the carnations after filling the vase with some water. After placing the vase onto the middle of the tabletop, you grabbed some of the leftover laundries inside the slim, rectangular basket and began folding the clothes. Looking over to the competitive game going on, you can see your father huffing a little, then standing up to do a small, but ridiculous twirl. It seems like he just got caught cheating on the game by attempting to steal more money than he was supposed to.

The evening air was moist with the passing rain and the calm of families and friends sitting together by the lit fireplace, relishing in the warmth of the blazing fire. There were bold and daring students splashing in puddles, families trudging happily as the rain had passed and friends singing aloud on top of their lungs. But you? You are back in the safety of your bedroom, with the curtains drawn up, dim lighting and a soft melody playing in the background. The scribbled notes lay in front of you, textbooks opened and a black ballpoint pen in your hand. With the background purring of instrumental music, this is your serenity.