⥉ Chapter One

♦ Prologue

Branch bent his head down to the rock, Leader gestured him to get up, speaking softly, "Young one. Your mother may be lost, but you have your father." Her gaze traveled hardly, looking for Mist; his father. But Mist never hangs out with me! Only Lilac has! He bent down again, hoping that he could catch a small scent of his mother, comforting him. But he could only smell death. Even the smell of prey could not help, his normal appetite has seemed to shrink. I just want to hear another story, have another hug... Branch stared in disbelief as he saw claw marks along her neck, being covered by her head. So she didn't die of poison... somebody killed her? He looked around and saw the grim smile of Maple. It was her.

⥉ Chapter One

Stem yawned as he got himself up. He flicked his leaf coloured tail towards the prey pile where some dead rabbits laid. He glanced around the clearing, watching the drowsy faces relaxing under the sun. Since they're all sleeping, I'm sure they won't mind if I take a rabbit or two. He slowly padded to the prey pile, carefully choosing a fat rabbit.

"Hey, you can't eat such a fat rabbit all by yourself!" The stern sound of Maple was caught, echoing around the cave. "Give it to Flower. She must be hungry." She hissed, baring her fangs at Stem.

Stem flinched, stepping back. What's wrong with Maple? All I wanted was a rabbit. He heard his stomach grumble, frowning. "You can't tell me what to do!" He sunk his talons into the rabbit, tugging the rabbit closer to him. He flashed madly at the older dragon. He stared with his claws outstretched as Maple clawed the rabbit away.

"Give it to Flower. She hasn't eaten in ages." Maple growled, her eyes flashing.

"Why don't you give it if you're that desperate?" Stem hissed back, flexing his claws, ready to fight.

"You're younger and need to do chores! You think I'd treat you like everyone else, doing everything for you just because you have a rare breath?" Maple sneered, stepping closer. "I will give it to Flower, because it seems like you don't care, you selfish brat!" The red-brown dragon spat. Turning away and whipping him with her tail.

Stem lashed his tail in fury, turning away. Now there aren't any rabbits left, so I'll hunt rabbits myself. And this time I won't give it to Flower or Maple! He thought, bitterly.

"Where are you going?" The drowsy voice of Marsh-his mother's voice through the cave, making Stem freeze.

"Hunting." Stem replied, feeling impatient.

"Where?" The sleek dragon asked, slowly getting up from her sun dozed nap.

"Where there's food. There are no more rabbits." He snorted, annoyance pulsing around his body.

"Stem, you're too young. You can have my sparrow." Marsh was now standing, her gaze flashing worriedly towards Stem, covering the slight hint of anger.

"I don't want your skinny sparrow. I want a rabbit!" Stem rolled his eyes, gazing demandingly at his mother.

"A rabbit. Okay. I'll get beta to host a patrol so we can find some rabbits." She flapped her wings as she jumped and landed, hopping towards beta with a fake gleam in her eyes.

I'd better get my rabbit. Once I'm leader, I don't expect any less. I have the rarest breath! Nobody should treat me like Maple did. She's such a no brainer!

Leader walked up, towards him. His locked gaze did not reveal anything. As he approached, Stem squinted, uneasiness filled his stomach, feeling suddenly full.

"Stem. Mind if I talk to you?" The impatient voice of another dragon startled him. He turned around and saw his Leader- Branch, looking down at him. "For what? Me wanting a rabbit?" He snorted, his questioning gaze looked up at his leader.

"Yes. Exactly for that." He started walking, flicking his tail to signal Stem to follow.

What now? Why is everyone here such a snob? He growled in hate, wanting to run and fly out of the dark, wet cave right now. The rotting stench of rabbit- the one Flower probably never finished, the dry wind that always brought dust, and the dragons. They never let me out! Just thinking about Flower's unfinished rabbit made stem wanted to tear Maple - and Flowers throat out.

"Listen, we aren't living in a place where prey runs in our talons. We need to value each single piece of prey! You cannot keep on acting like this." Branch looked at Stem with a serious expression.

"I have gas breath!" He yowled, once I'm older I'll be the one who's hunting for all of us." Stem hissed, feeling as if he couldn't care less if all of them got crushed beneath his paws.

What are they all overreacting for? All I wanted to eat was a rabbit.

Leader turned his gaze solemnly at him. "Your breath will go away at age one. You're turning one next week." This time the leaders gaze was clouded with worry.

"What?" No, no! I want to keep my breath forever. Why do we lose them? We need them more later on than now.

"Go. You'll need time for this to sink in." Branch- the Leader saw his claws flex, flicking him away with his tail.

As Stem stomped madly across the clearing, he looked around for food, and saw a new- juicy rabbit on the pile. This time, nobody can stop me from eating this rabbit.

"Stem! How did everything go? Do you feel better?" Hurl- his best friend padded up towards him, stopping his way to the rabbit, whipping his tail and accidentally hitting Fall's face.

"Ack! Move your tail." Fall's voice was rooted down with annoyance, sneezing as he turned away.

"Sorry." Marsh glanced apologetically at the old dragon, but quickly looked back up at Stem. His smaller, more agile body was easy to notice- especially comparing his thinner shoulders, and shorter height.

Oh great. Let's just pray that nobody would take my rabbit.

"Fine. But we're losing our powers when we turn one!" Stem said, his voice barely more than a whisper.

My powers are more important than the others!

"That's not bad. I didn't even get powers to start with!" Hurl smiled, his eyes failing to hide his gleam.

"You don't have powers, so you don't understand how I feel! Now leave me alone." Stem growled, flapping his wings to the other side of the cave. Why can't anybody leave me alone?!

Stem sighed madly, as he watched Beta drag the rabbit for a few older dragons to share.

Stupid Marsh! He distracted me. I could have eaten my rabbit! I hate life here.