♧ Chapter 3

♧ Chapter 3

"All dragons please gather under the rock of high stones!" Leader called, waving his tail together with everyone around. "I want three groups out now." He hissed firmly, gesturing Beta with a flick of his ear to come forward.

"Yes, Leader." Beta herself seemed a little shocked at the quick announcement.

So beta doesn't know anything about this? Well, then I guess it's something important.

"Three groups. Okay," she breathed in, her expression now more normal.

"Two of them are for battle training. Send one more for hunting, the prey pile is running low." Leader stepped back backward, gesturing Beta to choose the patrols. Beta looked a little overwhelmed, having to choose three patrols on spot.

Stem suddenly realized how old and frail the Leader looked; he must be preparing Beta to take over his role. But even in his senior age, he has not lost the proud, determined look when he was younger. Cripple would always say that the younger Leader was full of patience, smiles, and stories.

Beta's voice snapped him back into reality, as Stem looked up. "Fall, Hurl, Marsh. You three can go hunting." Leaf- the Beta turned his gaze upon the dragons, gathering together. "Vine, once they are back, you can share some prey with Flower. She's been getting tired, treating Root's injured wing." He announced, gesturing to Vine and Flower, watching as they slowly got up.

I should be the person eating the prey! Not spoiled Vine and wasteful Flower. Stem thought bitterly, biting back a sharp insult. As Stem watched the three dragons fly out of the cave silently, Stem pondered whether the other dragons knew about this secret. They must have realized we need to live in secret. He smiled in sly proudness, thinking he was very smart.

"And Stem. You can go with them to practice battle training." Beta glared at Stem when she realized he wasn't listening. Sighing, she flicked her ears at Hurl, Fall and Maple. Her glance was sharp, but hiding beneath that was amusement coated with worry.

"Can I train myself?" Stem growled, locking eyes with Maple- the grouchy senior. He expected a long lecture on what he just asked.

Beta's reply though, was only an angry snort. "We have to learn how to cooperate with other dragons. Now, shoo." Beta flapped her wings towards the sandy rocks, letting them train there.

He saw Leader give Leaf a proud smile, and Beta shrinking with delighted embarrassment after. Before briefly giving him a nod, racing after Flower to see how Root was feeling. She'd better come back soon. She breaks her promises easily, getting carried away at such an important role. I suppose.

❀❀

After battle training was over, Stem gasped with exasperation, heading to the Healers hut after Maple "accidentally" scratched him with unsheathed talons.

Humph. And what did everyone do? Gasp with surprise and amusement, thinking it was all a joke. "Oh how could Maple dream of hurting you?" "It's just a small mistake." All the other senior dragons defended her. Stem felt small and insignificant, seeing how his only friend- Hurl had slowly distanced around him.

As he stepped into the hut, his greeting was a big flap of the wings, and a gasp of worry. "Oh my goddess! Sorry Stem. Come in." Flower exclaimed, giving an apologetic smile.

"That's quite alright." He huffed in reply, his eyes blazing with fury, turning away to make sure the spotted dragon could not see. How dare she! Such a faker. Wanting me to get in trouble huh? Stem thought, stomping louder than he thought.