☁ Chapter 2:

☁ Chapter 2:

"Stem! Can you please go get Vine a sparrow?" Marsh gasped out, pushing Vine's small talons gently away. "She's getting hungry."

It's been two years since Branch called him to her den. As Stem padded to the prey pile, he saw a scrawny sparrow, and a fat, plump sparrow. As he gobbled up the fatter sparrow, hoping nobody would notice. I'll save the other sparrow for her. She doesn't need much. He thought smugly. Suddenly, a sharp yelp broke his peaceful eating.

"Hey!" Vine growled, waving her wings, looking quite aggressive. "That's my sparrow!" She stretched out her claws, and Stem realized that her claws were noticeably larger and sharper than his.

"Here's yours." He pushed the skinny sparrow towards her, hoping she would be satisfied.

"No. I want your plump one!" She hissed angrily, running out of the cave, towards Hurl who was basking in the sun.

This spoiled little dragon. Stem sighed, was I really like that when I was younger? Even if I were, I deserved everything I got! Be bit his lip, feeling angry.

Hurl stomped up to Stem, with a disappointed glint in his eyes.

"Why do you have to be so difficult? Vine is younger, and I promised her she would have the plump one!" Hurl's tired gaze made him look years beyond three. He picked up Vine on his back and walked away.

"Poo you!" Vine snarled, roared in triumph.

"Let's ask Beta if we could go hunting together!" Hurl huffed loudly, probably hoping that Stem could hear. "You will get the largest prey!" He continued, glancing quickly at Stem with hurt in his eyes.

"Aurgh." Stem growled as he settled himself down, alone on a patch of sunlight. He barely got a wink of rest before he heard Beta walking towards him.

"Hey Stem, do you want to go hunting with Maple and Cripple?" Beta nudged him when he didn't reply.

"No. I don't." He yawned, turning over, batting his wings to shoo his Beta away.

"I want you to go hunting. Go. Now." The dragon flicked her tail, pointing at Maple and Cripple. Ugh. Maple is so bossy, and Cripple is so goddamn annoying!

As the three dragons padded back to their cave, each carrying a mouthful of rabbit. He saw Cripple gleam excitedly as he padded towards Vine, giving her the juicy rabbit. Stem rolled his eyes, stomping towards the prey pile and shook his head in disapproval. The only prey left were a few skinny sparrows and an old vole. He gave his sister an accusing glare, stretching his talons out as Vine shot back a smug glance.

❀❀

"Vine and Stem, come here. You're both old enough to know this." A demanding yowl split through the uneasy silence of the cave. Her voice echoed throughout the cave.

"Coming!" Vine called, her eyes gleaming, sure that she would be able to watch her parents give Stem another rough lecture.

"Coming." Stem groaned, his tone as dry as a bone. He stretched his wings, yawning, hoping that Vine might trip. But instead, she just gave Stem an scornful look and ducked under his wings agilely.

"You'd better follow. You're lecture can't wait!" Vine's smile was cold as ice, her sneering expression flashing back at Stem- who followed.

Once they arrived, Marsh's gaze stared right through his gaze like a bullet. Instantly, Stem's tail drooped and sat down. Looking at Vine, he could tell that she also received the very welcoming glare from their mother.

"Now. I don't want any of you to speak or even a whisper when I talk to you." Marsh's angry voice was very rarely heard, only a few dragons could recall her spitting voice. "Do you understand?!" She bared her fangs, her talons at the tip of Vine's snout, looking very dangerous.

"Y-yes. We do." Stem muttered, waving his tail at Vine's snout as she tried to speak. Whatever she plans to say won't help either of us. It'll just make mother even more mad.

❀❀

"...so you mustn't show yourself in front of humans, or else they'll kill you." Marsh sighed, her voice softened through the story, but her tail lashed with anger. "Do you swear this upon your existence?" Her eyes blazed with fury and worry, holding Vine's talon softly.

"O-our dad was killed by a human?" Vine's tears dropped down as hard as concrete. Slowly, she brushed her tears off, her gaze sharpening with anger. "Let's go kill all humanity!"

Kill all of humanity...