promise me

NOTICE: This fan fiction was made for the second day of ScaramonaWeek 2022!! The prompt (or phrase in this case) is: "You can't die without my permission."
This work may not be my best as it was rushed, so please bear with it. 😭
Sorry for not posting this yesterday, I had been busy at a sleepover. I'll try updating the next prompt by sometime tomorrow. Enjoy! <33

Mona was at home studying when she heard a knock on the door

It was around 11 PM so she was definitely not expecting anyone to come over, especially not on a school night. She had a math exam the next day, so she couldn't afford to have people distracting her while she was trying to study.

With a sigh, she got up from her desk that was so covered with papers, you couldn't even see the wood of it anymore. She stretched a bit and rubbed the back of her sore neck. She had been seated in that awful posture for hours by now; back slouched, and neck craned down to look at her notes.

As she walked down the narrow hallway, she pondered who could have been at the door. The possibilities ranged from only a few, as Mona didn't know many people - or at least not many people who were close enough to visit her house. Could it be Albedo? Although it was unlikely of him to come over at such a late hour. Maybe it was Lumine? But she was probably at Childe's party along with Mona's roommate, Fischl. Mona recalled them talking about it earlier this morning.

Aether was already out of question, he should be fast asleep by now. Mona pitied him really, Aether is always so busy that he usually never gets even an ounce of sleep, having run errands all day. But lately, Lumine has been making sure he goes to bed early with the use of a sleeping pill. (Only after eons of nagging.)

But when Mona opened the door, she was met with something she didn't anticipate. Scaramouche.

It wasn't him that she was shocked by, having the man being her boyfriend and all. Instead, it was the state he was in that took her by surprise.

Blood was trailing down his forehead. From the roots of his indigo hair, dripping down to his right eyebrow. His bottom lip was busted; so bruised that the wound was turning blue, so split that the crimson liquid oozed down, soaking the left of his chin. His nose was running with blood, pale skin tainted with red. He looked fresh out of a fight.

"Sorry to come over without any notice," was all he said.

"What happened to you?!" Mona almost shouted, her voice came out strained as she tried her best to reduce the volume of it.

"Just got in a fight." Scaramouche looked elsewhere, anything to avoid her eyes.

"You told me you wouldn't get into fights..." She whispered, a hurt expression on her face. Scaramouche's heart was wrenched with guilt. He did tell her he would stop involving himself in fights, but he always struggled to keep up with that promise.