Chapter 5

Harume had been asking Boruto all about the Konaha, and what the people were like, and what it was like to have a permanent home. Boruto enjoyed getting to 'educate' Harume about being normal, and having Harume hang on his every word. That is, until Harume started asking questions about the Hokage.

"What's Hokage-sama like?" Harume asked. "You're his son, right? What's it like being son of the Hokage? Do you get to learn cool jutsu?"

"Pfft. I don't care about me stupid old man." Boruto scoffed. "He never does anything with me. My dad's a loser."

Harume was completely stunned. He would never talk about his father like that. Boruto, however, seemed to not care. Harume frowned. In his opinion, parents should be treated with respect. Apparently Boruto had never heard of respecting your elders.

"You shouldn't talk about your father and the Hokage like that. Your father is a great man, and you should have more respect for your parents and elders." Harume scolded.

"You mean to tell me you've never talked bad about Itachi? Never?" Boruto couldn't belive this. "You've never did something you weren't supposed to and laugh in his face about it? Have you ever even played a prank?"

"Never." Harume shrugged. "I'd never disrespect my father. He's worked so hard to care for and protect me, I would never throw his hard work away."

"You're a weirdo." Boruto smirked. "I don't give a damn about my father."

"Hn. You're strange." Harume shook his head.

"You're the one who's weird. Why do you have so much respect for Itachi, anyways?"

"Because he's laid his life on the line countless times for my sake. He taught me everything I know, and for that I should be grateful."

Harume's words puzzled Boruto. Harume was one weird guy, in his opinion. Boruto didn't care about respect at all. Naruto meant nothing to him.

♤♤♤

Sasuke internally celebrated. He'd finally gotten a chance with just him and Itachi. Sasuke knew they had a lot to discuss. Itachi was going to explain about Harume. Sasuke would be sure of it.

"Itachi," Sasuke glared at his brother. "Who exactly is Harume? He can't be an Uchiha. Unless he's yours that is."

"Hn? No, he's not mine, biologically. And yes, he's an Uchiha."

Sasuke didn't know how that could be possible, but he strayed away from the topic for the time being. "What have you done to that child, Itachi? He posseses the mongekyo sharingan, and he has the look of someone who's seen death time and time again. What did you do?"

Itachi didn't look at Sasuke. "I made a mistake."

"And what was that?"

"I told Harume about the mongekyo sharingan when he unlocked it. And...I regret doing so to this very day. What I didn't know, is that the child had had a quarrel with his freind and took this as an opportunity for revenge. Harume killed his freind, on accident really, but even so, it was still revenge. "

Sasuke's heart twisted. This was the exact reason why he hadn't told Sarada about the mongekyo for a long time. Itachi had made the fatal mistake, and now Harume was a killer. Sasuke wanted to feel resentment twards Itachi for making a child a killer, but the look of sorrow in Itachi's eyes made resentment impossible.

"How old was he?" Sasuke asked, dreading the answer.

"Seven." Itachi muttered, still not looking at Sasuke. Itachi turned his gaze back to Sasuke again, Sasuke now able to see the tears running down Itachi's face. "I'm so sorry." Itachi whispered. "I failed you."