Chapter 7

Himawari ran ahead of Sasuke, panting hard, but she didn't stop. She was desperate to find Tachi-san. He could be anywhere in those dark and cold woods, and possibly dead. Himawari shook her head. She didn't want to think about that. Tears glistened in her eyes bluring her vision, but Himawari blinked them away. She wouldn't cry, she'd be strong. Boruto wouldn't cry, and Himawari was sure that no self-respecting Shinobi would cry either. She would be strong, just like her brother.

Himawari stopped, her lungs burning in the cold air. She looked over her shoulder, and froze. Where was Sasuke? Himawari felt panic begin to rise in her chest. She was alone, with only the crow to keep her company. Where'd Sasuke gone?. Himawari looked around, Sasuke was nowhere in sight. Himawari felt tears come into her eyes again, but she scrubbed them away. She wasn't going to cry, even now. She'd come this far, and she wasn't going to give up yet.

Sasuke felt bad about leaving Himawari alone, but it wasn't like she truly was. Sasuke had spotted their pursuers a long while ago, but then they'd kept their distance. With these elusive pursuers closing in, Sasuke preferred to take care of them, not in front of Himawari. Sasuke didn't want a girl so young exposed to such violence, so he would dispense of these pursuers quietly, without the little girl's knowledge.

Sasuke slipped through trees, creeping up silently on one of thier pursuers, quickly slitting his throat before he could scream. Sasuke was practiced at this type of killing, and he assumed it would be easy to finish them off. He just hoped that he could finish them before they got to Himawari.

Himawari stumbled forward, brambles scratching her face and hands. Nipping at her clothes, tearing them to shreds. She wipped her bloodied face on her sleve and continued forward. The crow flew just ahead of her, never ceasing, never leaving her. The crow helped keep Himawari's wavering hope not burn out.

The trees began to thin overhead, allowing moonlight to cast a silvered dappled light across the forest, shimmering on the drops of dew that pooled on the leaves. Himawari gasped at the beauty of night, no longer afraid now that the moon was out. The forest now seemed like a Wonderland where Midnight spread her dark robes and danced amongst the stars, flinging their light to the earth below. Himawari smiled, skipping through the trees, the moon smiling down on her. It was magical...until Himarai spotted Itachi.

Itachi was sprawled on the ground, his bangs draped over is eyes. Blood pooled out of his parted lips, dribbling in dark splotches on the earth. Himawari caught her breath, trying to prevent a whimper from escaping her lips. She ran over to her dying friend, the magic of the night fading away to panic.

Himawari plopped down next to Itachi, and brushed his bangs away from his face. Sweat beaded on his brow, and his face was gray. Itachi's breaths were shallow and labored. Himawari turned Itachi onto his back with great difficulty, his frame much larger than her own. More blood bubbled put of Itachi's mouth, as he coughed, making Himawari shrink away. Himawari gathered up her courage and checked Itachi's pulse. His heartbeat was weak, but still there. Himawari sat back on her heels, contemplating her situation. There was no way for her to take him back to the village, but if she didn't, he'd die.

The crow circled overhead, and Himawari had the feeling it was watching her. Himawari called to the crow, and it swooped down next to her.

"C-can you find Sasuke-san for me?" Himawari asked. "F-find him and tell him to come here. If Sasuke-san's in trouble, head back to the village and get help, do you understand?"

The crow nodded, which hopefully meant it understood. Himawari pulled her notepad and pencil out of her pocket, an wrote two notes, and attached it to the crows legs.

"The first one is for Sasuke-san, but if he's in trouble, the second one is for the Leaf, so they can help both me and Sasuke-san." Himawari instructed. "Can you deliver them for me, please?"