26-Tell me that you got nowhere to be

We're sitting in Mr Sunn's class taking a test. If I'm being honest, it's a test, I'm probably gonna fail. Haven't had much time to study lately. The door opens and a guy I've never seen before is standing there.

"Mr. Sunn, can I borrow Pope for a minute?"

"We're in the middle of a test," Mr Sunn tells him.

"I'm from the Vanderhorst Foundation."

"Mr. Heyward, it's for you," Mr Sunn tells him.

"Thank you. Good to see you, Pope."

Pope and the man walk out of the room. I look at Kie curiously. After a moment Pope comes back into the room with an envelope. As he sits back down in his seat, he shows us the back of the envelope. The seal closing it has the wheat symbol on it.

"Is that the wheat symbol?" Kie asks.

"Yeah," Pope says.

"What the f..." JJ starts. Mr Sunn turns to look at him. "fu... fu... fudge?"

The need to figure this all out waits until after we finish our test. We head to the library to use one of the computers.

"Is this a game of tag?" JJ asks.

"I don't know," Kie whispers.

"Am I gonna have to beat you with your protractor? What's going on?" JJ asks.

The librarian shushes him.

"Seriously, Pope, you are driving me insane," I tell him.

"Okay, so that guy was from the scholarship committee. Take a look at this." Pope hands the envelope to JJ. "Read it."

"Out loud," I tell JJ.

"I can't read cursive," JJ tells me.

I look at him curiously before taking the letter from him. "'Dear Mr. Heyward, I am reaching out because I have material evidence that can exonerate John B. Routledge. It is of vital importance that you come and meet with me in person at my offices at 27 King Street, Charleston at 8:00 p.m. sharp tonight. Please come alone. Regards, C. Limbrey.'"

"Charleston?" JJ asks.

"It's like an eight-hour drive plus the ferry," Pope states. "How will we get there tonight?"

"We'd have to leave like right now," JJ states.

"I have a free period," Kie tells us.

"'Material evidence'? What does that even mean, 'material evidence'?" JJ asks.

"It means he can clear John B," Kie tells him.

"Oh, shit, then we're going to Charleston," JJ insists.

Kie sighs. "I gotta tell my mom."

"Look, if we get it this time, we are not giving it to Shoupe," I insist.

"Yeah. No duh," JJ agrees.

Pope sighs.

"What?" Kie asks.

Pope turns the computer screen towards us. "I'm not sure, but I think whoever this Limbrey person is, they might be related to the captain of the Royal Merchant."

It doesn't take much to convenience Rafe to come with us. I know he wants to get Sarah and John B home as much as the rest of us. After picking Rafe up and getting Heyward's truck we head to Kie's house. She's going to try and explain to her mom why she's gotta go to Charleston on a school night. Since I can see her and her parents arguing it's going about as good as I thought it would.