7

After a while, you and Loki made your way towards the kitchen to get some water. On the way, you both saw Peter coming out of the elevator as well as Clint who seemed to have been showing a young looking girl around. When she saw you and Loki, she left Clint's side and made a beeline towards you before lowering her head when she reached you both. You never considered yourself as anyone particularly special despite how many times you'd be asked to stop for pictures in public however it was clear that she was feeling a little shy so you decided to speak to her first.

"Good morning" you smiled at her and she looked at you.

"Hi" she replied quietly.

"Clint, who's this lovely girl?" You asked, looking towards Clint who was watching the interaction with a confused expression.

"She's usually a lot more talkative than this" Clint mumbled.

"I'm Kate, its great to meet you both" she beamed with newfound confidence.

"Good morning" Loki greeted.

"I'm y/n" you added, holding your hand out before Kates hand grabbed it.

"I know who you are" she said as she excitedly shook it "and you're Loki"

"Let go of them Kate" Clint laughed.

"I'm sure we'll see each other again after Clint has finished giving you a tour of the place" you assured before you and Loki stepped past her and Clint, continuing your journey to the kitchen.

When you both entered the kitchen, you walked towards the fridge, grabbing two bottles of water and throwing one at Loki, which he caught before opening it and taking a sip.

"Is Clint allowed to bring random strangers into the compound?" Loki questioned with an amused expression, when he put the bottle down.

"She seems nice, maybe she's part of one of Starks internship things" you dismissed, taking a sip of your water.

"Like the spider boy?" Loki mused, leaning back against the counter as he took another sip of water.

"Spider man, yes" you nodded.

"Boy" Loki corrected.

"Whatever" you laughed rolling your eyes before noticing the flowers in the vase next to Loki.

"What's the matter?" Loki asked noticing a shift in your demeanour as your happy facade fell, looking at the flowers you had left yesterday, the flowers Kyle had given you.

"Nothing" you answered quietly, still looking at the flowers, remembering this morning with Kyle.

"Y/n, you know you can talk to me" Loki assured, taking a step towards you. You wished that was true. You wished you could have told Loki everything but you couldn't, not without the fear of being pitied or worse, not believed. You wanted to tell the team about Kyle, the real Kyle, not the Kyle who'd smile at games night or who'd bring you gifts but the Kyle who threw your phone in a fit of rage this morning, the Kyle who made you feel awful but you couldn't. Something was holding you back. Perhaps it was love. That's what kept you tethered to Kyle, the fact that even if it was a tiny bit, you loved him and you were sure he loved you too. You loved him? Regardless of what he had done this morning, the beautiful bouquet of flowers sitting in the kitchen were a gift for you. Kyle wasn't a complete monster, he was nice at the start, surely he could be that Kyle again. This whole relationship couldn't have just been a waste.

"Y/n?" Loki spoke, interrupting your thoughts before you felt his arms wrap around you. Confused, you hugged him back before noticing your tears staining his top. You were crying. Quickly pulling away, you pushed past him to exit. "Stop" Loki called after you, grabbing your wrist, causing you to freeze recalling this morning when Kyle had grabbed that same wrist so harshly.

"Ouch" you winced, speaking out in a hushed whisper causing Loki to instantly drop your wrist, looking at you with a shamed, apologetic expression.

"I—I-I'm so sorry" he apologised looking at you as you stood still, frozen, looking down at your wrist. You willed yourself to move but you couldn't. More tears began to fall down your face. "I didn't mean to hurt you" Loki uttered causing you to turn your gaze towards his. He looked so regretful and you realised that he thought he had hurt you.

"Oh gods" you said in a choked sob before touching Loki's cheek "no Loki, no you haven't hurt me" you tried to reassure him "it wasn't you" you added causing Loki's expression to change to an almost angry one.

"Has someone hurt you?" Loki demanded and you realised you had let those three words slip from your lips. 'It wasn't you.' You looked down, shaking your head. "Y/n if someone has hurt you, you have to tell me who" Loki continued as you began to tear up again. How could you possibly tell him? You were supposed to be an avenger, strong, brave. You had fought robots, aliens, super soldiers yet in Kyles clutches, you had never felt so small, so defenceless, useless. You had stared into the eyes of death and greeted her cold glare with a smile yet you couldn't help but quiver under Kyles intimidating gaze whenever he was angry at you—whenever you did something to upset him, something wrong.

"No" you murmured as your lip trembled. Loki opened his mouth to speak but the sound of Kyles voice caught his attention.

"Here you are" Kyle said, walking into the kitchen "has something happened?" He asked, watching you as you quickly wiped away your tears.

"Nothing love" you tried to smile.

"Have you hurt her?" Kyle fumed, pushing Loki backwards.

"Kyle!" You scorned, pulling his arm.

"IF YOU'VE HURT HER" Kyle began to threaten, pulling his arm free from your grip as he stepped towards Loki who began sport a devilish smirk, overall unbothered by Kyles 'attack' until he saw the way your demeanour shifted to an unrecognisable submissive one when Kyle told you to get off of him, hitting you off of his arm.

"Y/n" Loki called, ignoring Kyle when your gaze fell to the floor.

"HEY! IM TALKING TO YO—" Kyle shouted before being interrupted by Loki as he began to reluctantly piece things together hoping he was wrong.

"Get off of me you pathetic scoundrel" Loki averred, pushing Kyle away as he strode towards you. "Has that man hurt you?"

You took a deep breath, returning to this reality as you took in the situation. Kyle was shouting and Loki, Loki was standing in front of you. You felt as if all the air had been knocked out of your lungs when you heard Loki's question. You wanted so desperately to tell the truth but Kyles piercing gaze from behind Loki was enough to render you speechless. Noticing you quickly glance at Kyle, Loki took your hand before teleporting you both away.