Day 1

6.131k words

131k words

Leah

«I don't mean to say that what happened wasn't traumatic. Obviously, it was traumatic. To end up where we did, in the middle of nowhere, completely cut off from the life we left behind. That bring us to the real question, doesn't it? What was so fucking great about the lives we left behind? »

«So if we're talking about what happened out there...then yeah, there was trauma. But being a teenage girl in normal-ass America...that was the real living hell. »

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

«Don't be sad, Mel. We talked about this; you go at the retreat for a weekend and when you'll be back there will be a ticket for the Grand Canyon waiting for you. » said the woman who was driving toward the airport.

The girl sat beside her smiled reassuringly. «I'm not sad, Mamma. I've always wanted to swim with dolphins. »

«And of course you already saw the program for the weekend. » she laughed. «I'm so proud of you. »

She would never be able to understand her daughter, and Melissa couldn't blame her. It was hard understanding someone who lived on another frequency of the rest of the world; someone who didn't think like everyone did, or behave like someone of her age should've done. The girl had never wished to be like the girls of her age; she was disgusted from almost all of them. They all thought about nothing and got angry with each other for silly things. Most of them didn't even have aspiration for their lives.

No, Melissa wasn't like the others, and like no one could understand her, she sure couldn't understand them.

«Do you need help with your bags? » the woman asked kindly once they arrived in front of the building.

«No, Mamma, thanks. See you in three days. » they kissed each other's cheeks before Melissa started to look for her airplane.

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

Leah

«Jeanette was the only one who'd come alone. There was Toni and Martha, best friends from Minnesota; the Texans, Dot and Shelby; there was Rachel from New York and her sister, Nora; Fatin and Melissa, of all people, from my school. »

«You seems surprise...»

«We've never really talked, but that retreat was the last place where I could imagine to see Melissa Gaggero. I'd found out what brought her there much later...I wasn't the first person she told it. But like I said, none of this sunk in until later. Not faces, not names, not the ridiculous welcome video. I was somewhere else, trying to disappear into those pages, where it all began. »