Day 2

5.780k words

780k words

Rachel

«You're gonna hear a lot of shit about how I acted, who I was trying to be, and...how I was with her. But...that sister thing...that twin thing...it's like a foreign country. You can only really understand if you're in it. So, no. I don't wanna talk about what happened to her. But...I do wanna tell you our story. »

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

«Rise and shine. We're in hell. »

Dot's voice woke her up from what it must have been the worst night of her life. Melissa didn't recognized the place; she got scared when she felt the sand all over her body and the outside air right in her face. She looked quickly around trying to understand why she wasn't in her bed.

The plane crash.

Memories of the previous day flashed in her mind waking all her nerves at once. They were truly in hell. «I thought it was a nightmare. » she murmured while she sat up looking around her. Fatin was still sleeping, or that seemed so. Panic filled her body for a moment; what if the crash had gave her an internal bleed like Jeanette? «Wake her up. »

«Fatin. » Dot shook the girl lying on the ground.

«What the...what the fuck? I was sleeping. » Melissa let out a breath of relief when she saw her schoolmate speaking.

«We checked you weren't dead, Fatin. » Melissa said kindly with a shrug. Fatin put her hood around her face and turned back to sleep making her giggle.

She turned her stare toward the ocean, the only thing that separated them from their lives. «I used to watch Mayday all the time...karma is a bitch. »

«Don't tell me. I've never wished to live one of my favourite tv shows. » scoffed Dot.

«People, we're missing a person. » Shelby exclaimed worried.

Melissa looked around confused. When she had returned that night at the campfire after her break-down she would have sworn they were all there, and with a quick look around she saw her other schoolmate walking toward them. «Leah. »

Leah seemed to have had a worst night than her, thing that she thought to be impossible. The Italian immediately noticed the phone in Leah's hand; a phone that none of them knew about. «It's Jeanette's. » She turned around and walked toward Jeanette's grave. They all followed her in silence, minus Toni and Martha who stayed back due Martha's ankle that had been hurt after the crash. The girls stood in circle around the grave, waiting for Leah to speak. «It was in her pocket. I heard it ringing, but it didn't seem real. Not that anything does anymore. So I followed the sound and I, um...I...»

«You frisked a dead body. » finished the sentence Dot. A shiver ran across Melissa's spine; that island was getting creepier second by second.

«But then, when I finally dug it out of her pocket, it died in my hands. The weirdest part is, this is her second phone. The other one, we lost out in the water, but this...this is an entirely different one. One that worked. And one that she chose not to tell us about. Isn't there something, like vaguely messed up about that? Like, not even vaguely. Deeply. » So many questions were taking form inside Melissa's mind. Why Jeanette had a second phone? Why it worked even after she had been in the water? Why Jeanette said nothing about it?