Chapter Seven

A/N It's been two months since my last update, and as I explained, I just wasn't feeling it. But, here it is. And I think I'm out of my writing slump now so updates might be a little quicker.

"This is suicide, Scott." She and Scott had been walking purposely through the woods for the past ten minutes. Scott had called her, simply telling her to meet him on the side of some road she'd never been near. She had to guess Scott had run most of the way from the hospital but she'd just had Lydia drop her off. She told her sister she was going on a 'nature walk' and she had no idea how Lydia bought that excuse. Scarlett Martin doesn't sweat. But Lydia had. So here she was, Scott only just having told her they were going to see Derek seeing as Scott wanted answers about the almost dead guy. "You know, I'm all for you getting yourself killed but I'm wearing heels and I haven't finished the novel I'm reading. Why do you even need me to come?"

Scott just shook his head with barely contained frustration. "I told you. I need someone who isn't afraid of Derek who can actually help in a fight."

"So not Stiles, then?" Scarlett asked rhetorically, kicking a rock away, also silently hoping her lace stockings wouldn't get caught on anything and that her hat would stay firmly on her head. "And what makes you say I'm not afraid of Derek?"

Scott just shrugged and said, "Because I know you. You're not really afraid of anything."

Scott was right. She wasn't afraid of Derek, but only scared of what he might do and the idea of him. But she wasn't invincible. "I'm afraid of some things."

"Like what?"

Scarlett considered. "I'm afraid of my friends being hurt." Scott stopped, startled, and turned to face her as she looked him dead in the eye. "I'm afraid of losing the people I care about. Like, for example, if I lost Allison, the first real friend I've ever had, I don't think I'd ever be able to properly function again. You know? I'm afraid of my sister getting hurt, or Stiles, or you. I don't really care about Jackson, though."

Scarlett was known for having a very thick wall of sarcasm and insincerity around her at all times but she felt like she owed Scott something. Not for what he what he's done for her but for what he might do later. She had a feeling that Scott was going to be one of the best friends she'd ever had but only if she opened up.

Scott stared for a moment before a spark of vulnerability flared up. "Are you scared of me Scarlett?"

Scarlett smiled slightly. "Yes, your yellow eyes are a teeny bit freaky. Like horror movie style. But, no, Scotty. I'm not afraid of you."

The pair continued to hold the others gaze before Scott nodded slightly and started walking again, Scarlett following close behind.

A few minutes later they passed into the clearing that was home to the Hale House. A police cruiser was speeding away but Scarlett had faith that it wasn't coming back anytime soon. Scarlett was hoping the Hale house wasn't as creepy during the day. She was wrong. Now that there was light to illuminate the structure of the house, she could see the crumbling façade more clearly and the scorch marks that made the House's history seem more real, not just a story in the newspaper. Scarlett couldn't help wincing at the thought of all the people that died here, werewolf and human.

"I know you can hear me." Scott said. "I need your help."

Scarlett's eyes widened slightly. She thought they'd been there to kick a little ass, take a few names, bring justice to the world in the form of putting down a creeper who wore way too much leather. But no. Scarlett had misread the anger that was on Scott's face before which had now turned to lower grade desperation. She had thought Scott was angry at Derek but he was really angry at himself. But Scarlet schooled her features as they walked towards what used to be a front door.