Chapter Eight

Monday mornings sucked. Allison had driven Scarlett to school so she wouldn't have to sit in the freakishly small backseat of Jackson's Porsche and now they were at their lockers. Like a dumb college frat boy, Scarlett still had her sunglasses on, even though they were inside. The only bright side of the morning was that Scarlett had managed to escape the house wearing Lydia approved jeans. Yes, these jeans were ridiculously skin tight and too bloody expensive, but at least she didn't have to walk around all day with her hand on her skirt so it wouldn't fly up in the wind.

"Did you hear anything I just said?" Allison asked through the Monday morning haze.

"No," Scarlett answered truthfully.

Allison rolled her eyes good naturedly. "I said, my aunt Kate just got to town and my parents have invited you to stay for dinner to meet her. I'll even you drive you there this afternoon."

"Sounds good," she agreed, scratching her head and slamming her locker shut. "But aren't you studying with Scott after school? What am I meant to do? You have really thin walls at your house, Alli."

"What?"

Scarlett stared for a moment before pushing her sunglasses onto her head. "Forget it. I'll meet you after History?"

"Yeah, okay," said Allison, still confused.

##

Scarlett was itching to put her sunglasses back on. History was mundane enough as it is without the morning sunlight streaming right into her eyes. But as soon as she'd walked through the door her teacher (whom she'd forgotten the name of) had said, "Miss Martin, I know your life is very hard and your brilliant eyes must be very strained, but it is against school policy to wear sunglasses inside. So take. Them. Off."

To which, she had responded, "Why can't I wear them? I'm not a terrorist."

That comment had almost earnt her a detention, which is not exactly where she wanted to be this afternoon, so the sunglasses had stayed off.

Next, Stiles had hit her with the entertaining 'Adventures Of Scott McCall' which described the happenings of the weekend she had missed. This included Scott's conversation with Jackson at the bowling alley that she'd somehow missed, his fight and talk with Derek that same night and Derek being shot in the early hours of the morning by the new hunter in town – the same one Scarlett was meant to be having dinner with tonight. This week was going swimmingly.

Now thankfully, it was almost at the end of the lesson and Mr What's His Face was handing back last weeks quiz.

Stiles, who was in the desk next to her, rapped is pencil against Scott's shoulder. Just loud enough for Scarlett to hear, he asked, "So if Derek's not the Alpha, if he's not the one who bit you, then who did?"

"I don't know," Scott answered quietly. He was watching the teacher almost religiously.

Stiles looked disappointed as he leaned back in his seat. His brain was so hyped up on Adderall that he thought of another question and tapped Scott again. "Did the Alpha kill the bus driver?"

"I don't know."

Stiles leant back and then forward again. "Does Allison's dad-?"

"I don't know!"

Scarlett shuffled uncomfortably as half the class turned to stare. Slowly, everyone turned back to the front. Stiles shot Scarlett a knowing look as he rubbed his neck bashfully.

"Great job, Ms Martin," her teacher praised as he handed her back her quiz. This time he wasn't being sarcastic. She'd gotten an A+. Not that this was unusual, but she always felt a little proud of herself when she got her quizzes back. It meant that she wasn't completely screwing her life up, only partially.