Chapter 3: Friendly Endeavors

Thalia's pov:

Charles, Raven, and I are linked arm in arm and leaving my brother's graduation. He's officially a professor, well, without the classroom.

"So, how's it feel to be a professor?" I smile over at Raven, who seems happier today. She's been going through a rough patch lately, so I've been kind of worried.

Charles chuckles at Raven's excitement as we head down some steps. "Oh, don't call me that. You don't get to be called a professor until you get a teaching position."

"I know, but it suits you." I let out a snort and send Raven a cheeky grin. She knows exactly how Charles feels about that.

"Oh, don't say that. Do say 'Let's go have a drink' though."

I smile at my siblings and let go of their arms, skipping a few steps ahead. "Let's go have a drink." They laugh at my antics and follow after me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Drink, Drink, Drink, Drink! ..." The whole pub is cheering for Charles as he chugs his drink. He's already pretty unsteady, but we're celebrating, so I'm not gonna ruin his fun.

Raven and I hug him once he finishes his drink, and the pub cheers for him. As everyone goes back about their business, Raven and I sit down at a table and Charles starts heading toward the bartender. "I need another drink, and you both need a cola."

I'm talking to Raven about a new recipe I want to try soon when Charles uses his telepathy to speak to me, "Read her mind."

I'm confused, obviously, so I look around the pub to see if I can spot my brother. He's sitting across from an auburn haired woman, and he's using his telepathy on her. I focus on her mind, and grab Raven's hand so she knows that I'm doing something. She squeezes my hand when she sees my eyes glow a light yellow color. She also sets her coat over me since my markings are glowing underneath my thick turtleneck sweater.

I go back to focusing on the woman's mind and get flashes of a club in Vegas. She saw other mutants there, and they didn't seem very friendly. Her name is Moira Taggert and she works for the CIA, which is concerning now that she knows we exist.

"Are you going to help her?"

"Absolutely." My brother doesn't hesitate in his answer, which means I'm on edge. I don't really like outsiders. They don't understand us, and often target us. Whatever is coming is going to be way too important for judgement like that though. I just hope we don't come out on the bottom.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Moira took us to Langley to pitch our existence to her bosses. I don't think it's a good idea, but Charles is the oldest, so he gets to be in charge of group decisions. That and Raven and I would never let him do something like this with no back up.

He's currently giving a presentation to Moira's bosses and I can tell it's not going well. They think we're crazy, which is debatable, but not important right now. "Thank you very much." Oops, it looks like I tuned out most of his presentation. Not that I needed to listen anyway, since I'm a mutant myself. These morons are the ones we need to convince.

"McTaggert, you really think that some crackpot scientist is going to make me believe in sparkly dames and vanishing men? You just bought yourself a one way ticket back to the typing pool. This meeting is over." This guy is a prick.

My brother speaks up to try and convince them that we're not crazy. "Please, sit down, Agent McTaggert." He turns to her boss and continues. "I didn't really expect you to believe me, given that all you could think about during the presentation is what sort of pie they're serving in the commissary."