Chapter 5: Road To Chunin

"Thanks for the food, Mebuki-san!" The bundle of energy that was Naruto hugged her tightly. The woman chuckled and patted the boy's head like one would do a pet. "Think nothing of it my boy, take care of my Sakura-chan for me will you?"

The annoyed look on Sakura's face wasn't lost on her mother but she chose to ignore it anyway, Mebuki always felt like she was too old to care when it came to teasing her daughter.

"Will do ma'am." Replied Naruto with a smile.

Today was the day, the day they had been waiting for ever since their sensei had informed them of their recommendation for the Chunin Exams.

Today was the day they got to prove themselves.

Sakura had decided to invite Naruto over for breakfast the first day of the exams so they would be able to get to the academy together. She didn't want to admit it but she was very nervous. It was hard not to, after months of arduous training, the moment to prove that it was all worth it had arrived.

The fear of failure was hard to avoid.

Naruto on the other hand was just thinking about how much he loved Sakura's mom, she's a great cook and she's great at telling embarrassing stories of the pink haired girl.

The fact that Mebuki told Naruto embarrassing stories about her annoyed Sakura to no end.

It's not that he isn't nervous at all, he's just too good at hiding it, he had decided the best way to avoid feeling nervous was acting like there was nothing to feel nervous about.

Is denial truly denial if you know you're in denial?

The pair of Genin were now walking together on their way to the academy, they still had some time left to spare so they were walking at a slow pace, taking in their surroundings and appreciating the atmosphere.

They definitely weren't stalling.

"Naruto-kun, did you see the squared rock following us?" There was indeed a rock in the form of a square following them around, it had been trailing them for so long that Sakura had begun to think she was imagining things.

"Yes Sakura-chan, I saw the rock." Replied Naruto.

The blonde in question was just so tired of being stalked by weird shaped rocks at this point. He stopped in his tracks before taking a deep breath and turning around to address their stalkers.

"Konohamaru, I've told you already... THERE AREN'T PERFECTLY SQUARED ROCKS IN NATURE DATTEBAYO!" Explained Naruto calmly.

Muttering was heard from inside the rock and it was only then both Naruto and Sakura noticed the rock had three pairs of eye-holes.

"What the f-"

"TADDA!" Yelled a small group of children jumping out of the rock before going into a fit of coughs because of the colored smoke they used in their presentation. Naruto was trembling in annoyance.

How could they mess up such an easy entrance?

"We used too much smoke." Explained Konohamaru sheepishly.

"Who are your friends Konohamaru?" Anger momentarily gone, Naruto found himself analyzing the new faces.

The three kids jumped into a pose and started going through what Sakura assumed to be rehearsed introductions.

"My name is Moegi and I'm the sassiest Kunoichi in Konoha!" The girl has light Orange hair tied in two pigtails on the sides and a permanent blush on her cheeks.

'The sassiest?' Wondered Sakura with a frown.

"My name is Udon and I love Math!" Said a Dark haired boy with glasses and a running nose.