Chapter 13: Will of Fire

A soft breeze followed an elderly man in white robes and the little blonde child holding his hand. They had taken to having these little 'play dates' - as the kid put it - at least twice every week and this one was not an exception. The old man chuckled as he walked hand to hand with the bundle of joy that jumped and played around the streets of his beloved village.

...u...

The villagers watched the lovely scene and voiced their admiration of the kind man and his altruistic nature, everyone knew who that man was of course. Konoha's very own Sandaime Hokage taking time off to hang out with some nameless orphan, 'he's truly a man of compassion' they thought, incapable of realizing there was more behind his commitment to the boy than just charity.

..a.u...

"Settle down my boy, these old bones can't keep up with you anymore." He was lying of course, but it seemed to work if the little boy no older than six sitting by his side was anything to go by. They both sat there and relaxed, watching everything and nothing at the same time, just the two of them sitting alone in a park somewhere in the village.

..a.u.....?

Hiruzen watched fondly as the little boy's gaze was focused solely on a butterfly that happened to fly close to them; he looked so innocent... what he wouldn't do to have it remain that way. "Tell me Naruto-kun, what do you want to be when you're older?"

...a..u..?

The boy beamed at the question and looked at the man with a fire and determination that had no place in the eyes of a kid his age. "When I grow up I'm going to be an awesome ninja like you Jiji! I'll take that hat from you so you can rest your old bones dattebayo!"

..a.u..o?

Hiruzen laughed at his boisterous claim and ruffled his hair affectionately, there was no doubt in his mind that the little boy would do exactly as he said."I look forward to it."

...aru...o..

That's exactly what Naruto loved the most about his Jiji, not once did he ever question his goals or call him stupid for aiming so high; all he ever received from him was unwavering faith and support. That's why Naruto loves and respects the Sandaime like he does no other.

He would do anything to make him proud.

Naru..o..

The boy found himself moved to tears by the love he received from that man and felt like an idiot for making a fool of himself in front of him, not to worry though, Hiruzen had always known how to make Naruto feel better. "Why don't we go and get you some Ramen?"

"Naruto!"

'Huh?'

Naruto focused on reality once again and finally caught sight of the tall silver-haired man that was standing right in front of his bed. He knew there was no point in asking how he got in, he just did.

A week had already passed, he was cleared from the hospital just a day after the invasion ended and he went back to his place to be alone.

He didn't even attend the funeral.

"What are you doing here, Kakashi?"

'Rude', thought the man but ignored it as he invited himself to sit right beside Naruto and take on that empty look adorning his face, he felt like a hypocrite; here he was coming all the way to the blonde's house so he could give him a heartfelt speech about grief and why it isn't good to let it consume you and run your life for you.

Yeah right.

Resisting the urge to scoff at his own thoughts, Kakashi put a hand on Naruto's shoulder and patted him comfortingly. He had been in the situation many times before, meaning, he understands Naruto's position more than anyone else. "No one's seen you in a week, Naruto, I thought I might as well come and see how you're doing."