vii - insecure

VII - INSECURE

Tsukimi typically walked home with her mother, but one of her school friends had been walking with them so frequently that (Y/N) had decided that it was appropriate to let them walk by themselves

Tsukimi typically walked home with her mother, but one of her school friends had been walking with them so frequently that (Y/N) had decided that it was appropriate to let them walk by themselves. Tsukimi's friend, Fuyumi, was the youngest of three children, and today their eldest brother was walking with them. He was a third year in middle school with a buzzcut, his rough expression and sharp eyes easily made Tsukimi internally panic.

He had a loud voice, with a booming laugh, and kept telling stories to embarrass his little sister.

Tsukimi and Aoi had only become friends recently, but they were determined to stay friends until the end of time. He complained out loud about how their mother would dote on Aoi a lot more than any of her siblings because she was the 'favorite'.

"Aoi's spoiled too! Get practically anything she wants! It might be because she's so young, but being a spoiled brat isn't going to do you much good once you get older," he would say, with a deafening laugh.

Tsukimi has had her moments of weakness of insecurity, but for the first time in her life had she ever thought about if (Y/N) may have favored Megumi rather than her. Tsukimi wasn't her biological child, (Y/N) wasn't hiding that from her and nor was it some sort of secret. Megumi was, however, her blood. Megumi wasn't spoiled like Aoi's brother had claimed her favored sister to be, mainly because their family couldn't afford those kinds of things. (Y/N) was picky with her spendings.

It only took Tsukimi a few months to see (Y/N) as some sort of motherly figure and to start referring to her as such. (Y/N) never asked her to, nor did she enforce such things, could it be because she never wanted Tsukimi to be her daughter?

In a certain way, yes, (Y/N) never wanted another child. She didn't wouldn't have wanted Megumi if it wasn't for Toji's influence on her.

She entered the house with a heavy heart, it felt as if her stomach had been flipped inside out. There was her mother, as she always was, napping Megumi in her lap as she skimmed through a study guide on herbs.