5. Room 207

A/N: I think I've said this on Ao3 but not here: this will have a happy ending. I don't think I could handle it any other way.

*

Dear Soo-ho,

Look what I found! I saw it on my school's forum board and remembered what you wrote in one of your letters–how you wanted to become a musician but never got the chance.

Rome Cafe: Now Hiring Part-time Singer

Job Description: A performer is needed for night-shifts, around dinner time, on Fridays and weekends. Flexible for students. $10 bucks an hour.

Sounds perfect for you, does it not? If you take it on, tell me! I want to be there for your first gig :).

Sincerely, Young-ro

He put the letter in his pocket and looked up at the Cafe, suddenly feeling nervous for his upcoming interview.

"I'm actually doing this," he mumbled, running a hand through his hair.

From the outside, besides the weathered stone, the cafe had not changed one bit. The blue words Rome Cafe were faded and chipped and the colored retro lights illuminated inside. As he walked up the steps, he felt a sense of deja vu–these were the same steps he took on the day of the blind date. The day when he first met her.

A faint bell chimed when he pushed the door open, but he tensed up, unable to move, as he took in the familiar, melancholic surroundings. The low murmur of old songs reminded him of both good and bad times, though that time has long gone. If he took a few steps, he would see the place which she sat, so close but not within reach. How beautiful she was that day, yet he never had the chance to tell her.

"Hey, young man. Are you here for the part-time job?" an old lady called.

"Ah, yes. I heard you are looking for a singer."

"Hm," she said, looking him up and down. "Can you play guitar?"

"Yes, ma'am."

"Okay. Here, use this guitar. Do you know 'Because I Love You'? The one by Yoo Jae-ha."

"I think so," he replied and grabbed the guitar from the stand, plucking a few strings. The sound resonated and the string vibrated beneath his finger, bringing forth more memories of him, his sister, and his father. He smiled, sat down, and began to play.

To you, who came back to me
I'll give my everything
We will stay like this forevermore
We will not part ways
Because I only love you
And you only

Before he could continue, the lady motioned him to stop.

"Do I sound bad?" he said and rubbed the back of his ear.

She laughed, her eyes teary. "No. You sound good. It's just sad, that's all. It just reminded me of someone."

A tear fell and she quickly wiped it, laughing once more to hide her sadness. "Ah, hell, look what you did. I guess I have to give you the job now."

He stood up quickly and bowed, feeling the novelty of excitement. He never had a part-time job before.

"Thank you! I will do my best!" he exclaimed and she patted his back encouragingly.

"Yes, yes. Remember Fridays and weekends. Come here by 6 and sing until closing time. Come prepared with around five songs, but be prepared to take requests. You can take the guitar for practice, but take care of it. Okay?"

He smiled so wide his cheeks began to hurt and bowed once more.

"Yes, ma'am!"

*