Chapter 1 Demonification

Officially AU from 184, and some events have definitely been shuffled around. THIS IS AN UPDATED CHAPTER. READ THE STORY'S DESCRIPTION FOR MORE INFO. btw Nezuko is a demon in this.

The fortress shuddered with a deep, resonating vibration, the only warning Tanjiro would receive before she was suddenly slammed to the ground. She could barely lift her head up from the weight that pushed down on her, but her eyes caught sight of the walls as they rushed down—No, it was they that were being thrown upwards. Tanjiro's eyes moved to the source of calamity, Kibutsuji Muzan, and he was one of the last things the slayer saw before she heard a loud, ominous crack, followed by the sound of wood beams splintering, falling apart. In the chaos, one of the many fallen detritus slammed directly into her head, knocking her completely out.

Amongst the wreckage of tatami mats, wooden beams, and shredded paper laid the bodies of the Demon Slayers Corps members. Most of the Hashira managed to remain conscious as they ascended and eventually exploded out into the real world. If they were incapacitated while that close to Muzan then they were as good as dead. It was a thing they knew on a more instinctual level than they did a conscious one. When the rubble and dust settled enough to move their arms from their faces to take on a battle ready stance, they were just barely prepared enough for Muzan's enraged roar, which blew away all the wreckage that had piled on top of him.

The scream sent off a shockwave strong enough to nearly knock the Hashira off their feet. The other members of the Demon Slayer Corps were not as lucky, nor prepared, and were violently thrown away from the epicenter like a kite tossed about in a hurricane. Some landed poorly and others even ended up impaled on the splintered remains littered about. Their screams were drowned out by the intensity of Muzan's much louder, primal roar.

With the injury of Nakime, and the farness of his Infinity Castle, one thing became clear to Kibutsuji Muzan—he had to escape, and now. Things were no longer in his favor. Of course, he could easily kill every single pest and peon in the reach of his spinal tentacles in a more controlled disposition, but he had learned. He had seen with his own eyes—No, with his minions many eyes the tenacity of humans driven by hatred and revenge. They became even worse when they were cornered. He wasn't going to take the risk.

Muzan was given no time to plan as the Hashira all converged on him. He counted three notable presences near him, with the rest of the rabble falling to the back of his mind, marked as 'useless nuisances.' The Hashira managed to land several attacks on him as they fought him in tandem with each other, showing a startling amount of synergy that could only be accrued through years of fighting alongside another. Muzan sneered at them as his spine-whips lashed out. They were like ants to him, and the only way he even noticed them was because they clustered together into a maddening cesspool of weakness and defiance.

Sprays of blood splattered from where his whips struck true, but it took him only a mere fraction of a second to realize he had missed the mark—not by his doing, no. As always, humans found a way to step directly into his path and continued to discover new ways to defy his will. Several members of the Corps had leapt in the way of his attacks and had died in the stead of Muzan's true targets, the Hashira. There was a sudden surge of bodies as at least ten slayers attempted to rush at him at once. With a lazy swat of his spine-whips, they died like insects buzzing straight into a flame. In the midst of the chaos, Muzan caught signs of movement in his peripherals and he turned his head to see a group of masked individuals attempting to drag a familiar body away.

A plan formed in his head then, hasty and graceless, but it would get the job done. Muzan leapt over toward them but his tentacles were already racing far ahead of him. They easily killed or slammed aside the bugs festering around his love: Kamado Tanjiro. Twining around the unconscious girl's body was one of his tentacles, whose grip would be unbreakable should Tanjiro awaken. By the time his feet had landed, Muzan's appendages had manoeuvred Tanjiro between him and the Hashira. Mere seconds later, he detected the presence of two more awfully large gnats joining the fight. They too had the stronger aura of a Hashira. There were now five in attendance, all working to end his life.