Short introduction

The Scottish clan system, their former local government system, which held the Scottish Highlanders in northern Scotland together, was abolished by the British parliament in 1746 due to the Jacobite uprisings. The unsuccessful rebellion backfired atrociously and led to the end of the Scots' typical way of life. From there on, British reforms shaped their lives. However, the romance and beauty of northern Scotland lived on in everyone else's memory because of the stories that were created.

To fully understand what happened, we have to take a look on one past event in Scottish history that laid the foundation for the Jacobite Rebellion and the Battle of Culloden.

It all began with "The Union of The Crowns", where James VI, or James the first, as the English people call him, who already was king of Scotland, became heir to the English throne. He united both the Scottish and English throne. Thanks to him, the House of Stuart, which was a royal family of Scotland, received reign over England and Ireland too.

This event, as already said above, laid the foundation for the uprisings.

In the next chapters, I will cover the three most important uprisings and the aftermath of them.