Nitty Gritty: Editing & Revision

Editing & Revision:

Who loves editing? *Crickets*

I don't blame you. I also find writing far more fun, but revision and editing are what makes our books shine.

When it comes to editing, there are as many methods as there are stars in the sky. I list a few below, but there are plenty of others, and you'll develop your own system as you go.

The average Wattpad writer will be fine simply doing a read-over to fix flow, plotholes, and edits. I'll go more in-depth in this chapter for those who want to see what many published writers do.

So, first things first, we need our rough draft.

If you're anything like me, you'll take one look at it and wonder what monkey wrote this trash pile.

Let me be the first person to remind you that all a first draft has to do is exist.

This is why we revise and edit, often going through several rounds to get to our final manuscript.

So, you just finished your rough draft – Awesome! Congratulations!

Now stuff it in a drawer for a month or six.

No, I'm not joking.

If you're brave, you can post the rough draft. I've found that I need some mental headspace away from the story to see it with fresh eyes before truly revising it. I'll give a story a read-over and a quick edit for flow, major plot holes, and typos, then ask some friends to pick out any missed typos before dropping it on Wattpad.

Once the book has sat for a while, we can take a closer look at it. If you have any reader comments, pull them out.

Serious revision often has 4 stages or 4 series of edits. Yes, four. If you're just posting for fun or learning, you can get away with fewer editing rounds, but I'll list all four below and a picture at the bottom of the chapter.

I often reread the story and create a timeline with events per chapter when I prepare for a serious revision.

Editing stages:

1. Developmental edit: This is your main plot, major story/character arcs, the BIG picture, are all characters necessary, etc.

2. Structural: This is the organization and flow, making sure the scenes and ideas are clear. (Some publishers have 2 structural edits)

3. Line edit: Sentence structure, paragraph layouts, tone, voice, wording choices, etc.

4. Copy edit: Spelling, punctuation, and Grammar.

I'll be honest, I read the story, create a timeline, and combine the Developmental and Structural edit into one 'editing sweep' to fix plot issues. Then I merge the Line Edit and Copy Edit into a second sweep while using Text-To-Speech, then rely on my friendly editors to point out anything I've missed.

I use ProWritingAid and free Grammarly during the Line Edit and Copy Edit. ProWritingAid is good at catching 'filler phrases' like 'managed to', 'started to', 'seemed to', 'the sound of', etc. Grammarly is better at word selection and commas. Neither is perfect, hence why I have some people helping me edit.

Most writers starting out are good at editing things like typos, but as they gain experience, they will learn more about plot, pacing, etc. and discover just how vital that developmental edit is (aka. The Plot Edit).

Your goals will affect how much editing you choose to do. If you're just posting for fun, you likely don't need to worry about huge plot overhauls. But if you're eyeing up a Wattpad Book deal, querying publishers, or making a serious attempt at self-publishing, then revision and editing are going to be your ever-present companions.

Yes, you're going to want to rip your hair out. Around the fourth editing round, you'll want to toss the book in the trash and never see it again. Resist those temptations. Treat yourself to a hot chocolate or a warm bath, and come back to it in a while.

Revision is closer to a marathon of perseverance. Rome wasn't built in a day, nor was the perfect polished book. But look at what a legacy such herculean effort can leave behind.

Revision and editing take a ton of time. I find I spend more time editing than writing, but I've also discovered that I learn more about plot, flow, and writing the more I edit and revise.

Word of warning: the drive for perfectionism can lock you into endless rounds of editing on a story you love. If you find this is happening, put the book away for a few months, then, if you need to, you can come back to look at editing it again.

I find that writing and editing use very different areas in my brain, and it can take me a while to switch between them.

Whatever your goals are, I wish you success in your writing journey.