Nitty Gritty: Various Small Concepts

Here are several small things that weren't big enough to warrant their own chapter. They looked  lonely, so I put them all together.

Autocorrect
is your friend and your worst enemy.
If you use it, you probably know what I mean. I usually disable it.
I prefer to use spellcheck. Much safer. But it is, once more, personal preference.

'And I' versus 'And me'.

This is a simple concept that tends to trip people up regularly.

The general rule: if the action/verb is after the I/me, then you use I. If the action/verb is before, then use me.

Tip: If it is confusing you, remove the other person, and this will make it much clearer.

Correct: Clair and I went to the store.
Incorrect: Clair and me went to the store. [Take out Clair, and it reads 'me went to the store.' Which is not correct.]

Correct: Dale went to the store with Clair and me.
Incorrect: Dale went to the store with Clair and I.

Correct: Before we left, Clair and I called Dale.
Incorrect: Before we left, Clair and me called Dale. ['Before we left, me called Dale.' If you remove Clair, it is fairly easy to see.]

When to Capitalize Directions
North, East, South, and West. That little spinning compass is sure to drive us crazy...

Fear not, I am here to try and steer you in the right direction.

When indicating direction, do not capitalize.

When the direction is indicating a physical location or region, then it is capitalized.

Examples:
I started walking east.

I headed towards the Eastern Coast.
I visited a mall south of the city.
Go north on Highway one until you reach the interstate.

Affect and Effect
Affect is the initial action (often a verb – think A as in Action) while Effect is the resulting outcome (often something that was influenced by something). Like cause and effect.

This is a slippery slope. Many people will just choose a different word.

Examples:
Nicky affected where Ben was standing when she pushed him into the water. The end effect was that Ben was now wet. [Nicky caused the action, and Ben suffered the outcome. It is a really strangely worded example, but it gets the point across.]

The weather affected our plans. The rain had a dampening effect on my mood.

You will feel the effects of the medication within half an hour.

There/Their/They're  Three words that sound far too much alike while meaning something completely different.

There - is a place or location. Think, the e is on the right, just like east on a compass.
Their - possessive form of they. Think e as in everyone and I as in I - which is quite a crowd. Side by side, together, they are doing/have something.
They're - shortened version of 'they are'.

Examples:
They forgot their shoes at the beach, and the shoes are likely still there.
They're on the phone.
They parked their truck over there.

Your/You're This one is fairly simply, but still important

Your - something that belongs to you. It is yours.

You're - short version for you are.

Examples:
You're late! Don't forget to brush your teeth!I know these are your tracks, and you're in big trouble.

It's/ItsLet confusion reign as we break some previous rules...

it's - normally an 's means that it belongs to someone/something - but not this time! This is short for it is.

its - opposite of it's, this is your possessive term - something belongs to 'it'. Can be used like his or her.

Examples:
It's a lovely day, but the cloud cast its shadow on us. The puppy wagged its tail. It's Bella's puppy.

To/Too/TwoThey sound the same, yet have different meanings.

Two – is a number: 2. I rarely see this one mixed up, but the potential is there.

To – usually used like a direction, or as toward or until. This version of to/too is the most commonly used. (Think 'go to' – both have one o.)

Too – Indicates 'also', 'in addition to', or 'excessively' – think: two o's is excessive... too

Examples:

I gave two slices of watermelon to the girl, but it was too much for her to eat.
Let's go to the store. I need two dozen eggs for baking. Oh, I need milk too.

Weary/Wary

One letter difference and completely different meanings. This is one of my bizarre pet peeves that I see frequently (possibly because they are just out to get me...)

Weary - means tired, exhausted, etc. Think, e for exhausted.

Wary - means cautious. Think – sound it out – the louder 'a' is more aggressive sounding – and you would be wary around something potentially dangerous.

Examples:
I was weary and sat down to rest. I should have been more wary because there was a tack on the chair...I warily approached the strange dog. It lay there wearily and didn't move.

There are dozens of other easily mixed up words that sound the same, but are spelt different and mean different things. If in doubt, Google or even a decent spell checker will clear up any doubts.