Spelling & Helpful Editing Software

Spelling errors are like speed bumps on a racetrack. That little bump may seem minor on such a wide stretch of flat ground, but they tend to jolt the readers out of the story.

A few spelling errors are a given, but if they are present in every paragraph, then readers may stop reading.

The part of the brain responsible for speech usually does not autocorrect easily, so we can use this to our advantage when proofreading by:

- Reading aloud. Only breathe on the periods, and pause on the commas. This will pick up most problems right off the bat. If you run out of breath, then it is too long. If there should be a pause, but there is no comma, then it needs some help as well.

- Text to speech (read along as it speaks – you'll be amazed at how much you find!). I believe Natural Reader will work in Wattpad, although there are more that will work in other types of software. Google Docs and MS Word already have this ability built in. (Google Docs in the Tools, Accessibility Settings)

If you're open to letting readers point out corrections, you can put a small blurb at the bottom of your first chapter, saying something like "Feel free to point out typos, plot errors, or any other problems!" (And yes, you want it at the bottom – not the top – because putting it at the top of the first chapter can turn readers away if that's the first thing they see. More details on this in the First Chapter chapter).

🚨 Helpful Editing Software:

There are many kinds of software to help you with your spelling, grammar, and sentence structure: Grammarly, Hemmingway, and ProWritingAid are three I've used. All three have online free options, as well as paid options. Each one also has pros and cons.

Grammarly has a free web browser app that catches a lot of basic typos and some comma errors. It works right on the Wattpad create page if you enable it on your browser/app. It can also be used as an add-on in Google Docs. Personally, I didn't find Grammarly to be worth the paid version. The free one caught most of the stuff I was concerned about.

The Hemmingway app is $20 for a lifetime subscription. It can also used for free. (I tried it a few times but wasn't that fond of it)

ProWritingAid can be used for free on their site, and they also have a lifetime subscription option if you don't like monthly payments (be sure to sign up for their newsletters since they have 50-70% sales once or twice a year).

If you're just after a basic spellchecker, you can try writing in a free word processor like Google Docs (or copy/pasting your work into it like I do). Google Docs is free and has a decent spellchecker. It also has some powerful Sharing abilities that lets you limit people to just commenting.

I personally like Microsoft Word, since it also points out my grammar problems (If you get an Outlook email account, you can get the web version for free or us WPS Word Perfect, just download word separately and not as a suite).

Scrivener is another writing app that a lot of writers love since it lets you add notes and sort chapters. It has a free trial, and a lifetime subscription option. 

When copying your story from these documents and pasting them into the Wattpad create page, skim over the chapter since it won't always copy correctly. When you review what you pasted in the Create Page, you may notice that it ate spaces in the last paragraph or removed blank lines between paragraphs. (Sometimes these happen when you click the publish button, so be sure to check after posting it as well!)

Please remember that computer checkers do not always have the right suggestions. If nothing else, it'll flag possible issues so you can take a closer look. You may need to do some research to double-check if the software is right.

Google knows everything (or at least it thinks it does), although when it comes to writing and spelling, it's usually correct. If you aren't sure about something, try googling it. If you Google 'learnt vs learned', you will discover that both are technically correct, but learned is more widely used/accepted. Is it 'I headed east' or 'I headed East'? Google knows. And it's more than happy to tell you and provide examples.

If you plan to do a lot of writing, and you really fret over the details, I highly suggest buying a writing guide. I use the Chicago Manual of Style (it lists the rules and has tons of examples for each rule). Yes, it looks big, but only about 30% of it really relevant for fiction authors. I bought the hardcover version and I love it. I added tags and highlights to mine to help me quickly reference certain details and rules without a ton of searching.

thesaurus.com is an excellent webpage. I even have it bookmarked on my main web bar due to how much I use that site. It helps me vary my words or pick ones that fit just a bit better.

Here is a decent site about verbs (and includes a lot of replacements for walked or ran, which is one of my stumbling blocks): dragonwritingprompts.blogspot.com/2009/02/1000-verbs-to-write-by.html

🚨 If you've used a software to edit your story, but still want some help, here are some possible options: 🚨

- Post a small blurb on one of your chapters, kindly letting your readers know that you welcome feedback (bottom of the chapter is best, not the top).

- Ask a friend or family member for suggestions. If you're in school, you can ask your English teacher.

- Find critique partners or writers willing to edit in places like the Dreamland Discord (Wattpad users) or the 'Wacky Writers Forum' (a Wattpad-centered forum). (Links to these places can be found in the Getting Recognized Chapter)

- Search for 'Critique' on Wattpad. Some readers offer critiques, and some authors may be open to a critique swap (just make sure you write similar things and are at a similar writing level).

- Some book clubs may also include critiquing. Search for 'Book Club' on Wattpad. Your best bet is to look at the usernames and look for one that's active and offers what you're after (they often require you to do things as well).

Fixing up your spelling can be a long road, but one that is well worth it in the end.