part 10: the truth

Pepa had just finished her explanation while she also finished her second glass of wine that Julieta had opened during her monologue of what happened.

Bruno looked down to his feet as he fiddled with the hem of his green poncho. Julieta simply sighed - she wasn't really involved in all of this, that's the reason why she felt so awful and guilty for her siblings.
She should have noticed.
She should have done something.
She should have fixed that wicked situation.
But she didn't.

A screech of the wooden kitchen door made them look up - it was Y/N.

Pepa immediately got up and hugged them tightly.

„Are you okay dear? Sit down niño, we'll make you a cup of tea."

Her shaken up voice steadied as she started talking to Y/N, grabbing a cup and starting to boil some water in a kettle.

„Yes, Señora, I'm okay. I'm sorry, I don't know what has gotten into me..."

They started tracing their fingernails along their left arm before sitting down at the table.

„Y/N, I've already told you. Call me Pepa." She chuckled as she put a couple of tea leaves in the cup, waiting for the water to boil.

Julieta accompanied her sister as she started to get a couple of cooking supplies out - some corn flour, a bit of water and just the right amount of salt. Y/N knew she was gonna make some arepas (they didn't have dinner with them after all).

The dough was ready just in time with the boiling water, so when the tea had cooled down to the perfect temperature to drink, all arepas were ready to eat and all of it was placed in front of the teenager.

„Back to your statement earlier." Julieta began, offering a sweet smile towards them.
„It seems like the power that was given to your family had kind of skipped a generation. While the power got passed over to the Madrigals, the power also stayed in your bloodline - you got the power. It was very channeled and uncontrolledly concentrated as it was the first time you'd use them, that's why it was so exhausting and draining."

It was a nice explanation and Y/N understood most of it.

„Powers. Generation skipped. Over to me, got it!" They took a bite of the next arepa they grabbed.
„Wait- is Señora Alma okay? I know I was mad, but I shouldn't have hurt her. Did I hurt her?" Panic was written all over their face as their eyes widened and their heartbeat picked up a bit.

„Well...she isn't here anymore, but I can assure you that she was not hurt by your actions." Bruno chimed in, a quick smile shot towards Y/N as he got up, squeezing their shoulder softly. „No need to worry."

He smiled and waved, before pointing to the door.

„Alright, hermanas, Y/N, I'll go to sleep now. Good night guys!"

Y/N waved back with a smile, having calmed down. They really liked Bruno. He was a funny guy, maybe a bit awkward, but nice and warming. They used to be afraid of him - or, to be exact - the version of him that the townspeople made up with their little stories in a failing attempt of 'Not talking about Bruno' (Y/N was sure the fish lady was still pressed about her dying goldfish).

„Yeah, mamá isn't here anymore. I threw her out." Pepa shared a questioning gaze with her sister who simply nodded - Y/N deserved to know the truth.
„Actually, mamá was the one who used my powers to...well..unalive your parents Y/N."

The two sisters waited for a reaction or some words (which also were a reaction but nevermind).

Y/N stopped in their motions as they looked at Pepa first and then Julieta for confirmation.

„She...did?"

Every knowledge of the 'accident' faded as the new information made its way to their brain - processing it.

„It wasn't an accident? It was..." they didn't dare say it out loud and Pepa didn't try to finish the sentence.

She looked to the ground, a small cloud of fear bubbling over her head.

„yes...yes it was. Mamá knew your parents were out on the sea that day, doing their job, and she did something to rile me up so that my powers would form a huge thunderstorm and uh...that worked."

Julieta got up and stood besides them, putting an arm around their shoulder and pulling them into a tight hug as their shocked state turned into a mad, sad trembling mess of emotions.

Y/N melted into the touch of the warm embrace, tears streaming down their face non-stop while sniffling into her dress.

„I'm so sorry Y/N..." Julieta's voice was soothing, but only a litte bit. They stayed in this position for a while, until their cries died down and sniffling was the only sound heard.

Y/N pulled away from Julieta, sadness quickly turning into embarrassment.

„Oh my god, I'm so sorry Señora Julieta! I completely drenched your dress and-"

Julieta was quick to grab an arepa and put it in their mouth.

„Nah ah ah. It's fine niño" she chuckled. „And leave the 'Señora' out. Just Julieta."

A soft smile added up to the warm embrace given earlier and Y/N looked down to their feet.

Were they able to see the Madrigals the same after everything that happened?
How will it affect their relationship towards Camilo and the rest of his family?

What about their own powers? Will they be able to control them? Will they even use them? And if so, how would they use it?

Right now, there wasn't any answer to any of the questions and that was okay.
They needed time. Maybe a lot, maybe not so much. They'd figure it out eventually.

„Thank you for telling me the truth. I think I'm going to go to bed now."

Y/N smiled a bit before heading back upstairs. Were they supposed to sleep in Camilo's or Dolores's room?
There was a bed in both rooms that had been set up just for them, so they figured it wouldn't matter.

They inhaled deeply before turning the knob on Camilo's door. He was fast asleep after they had woken up and assured him he was fine. He looked cute like that - curled up in the sheets of his bed with a little bit of drool on the corner of his mouth.

Y/N giggled quietly and kissed him on the cheek, before lying in the bed next to his and allowing themselves to sleep.