5 - I'd Have You Any Time

That night, Cloud dreamt of darkness surrounding her.

When she looked down at her feet she could see that she was standing on what looked like a never-ending pool of a black, reflective surface that shined like water. It stretched out endlessly in front of her.

When she brought her head up, a man was now standing just ahead of her.

It was him! The doctor. She'd dreamt of him before, she was sure of it.

"So you made it alright?" His voice echoed. Cloud wasn't quite sure what he was asking.

Cloud opened her mouth to speak, but no words came out. She tried again, but remained silent. She clasped a hand to her throat in fear.

"You won't be able to, I'm afraid," he replied. "It's just the way things work here."

Cloud lowered her hand in defeat.

"You must be wondering what happened to your clothes? On that day, I mean."

Suddenly, the blackness all around them warped into an image of Cloud, curled up and soaking, rain and lightning flashing over her.

Yes! Cloud thought. On the day she arrived she had woken up practically naked.

"I'm sure you've figured out where you are by now," he replied smoothly. "The clothes you left in, they were made after this time period, so they couldn't travel with you. I believe you have some missing jewelry as well," he explained.

Travel? Cloud thought to herself. Travel from where? And she certainly didn't own any jewelry, not here, at least. Maybe this all could explain the massive black hole in her memory.

The doctor adjusted his tortoiseshell glasses.

"Step wisely, Cloud. I know it may not seem like it, but your actions have consequences in this place." He smiled. "Do with this what you will."

Cloud's eyes widened. Suddenly, she could hear other voices whispering all around. Someone whispered directly in her ear, but when she turned, no one was there.

The doctor had disappeared, and the black world seemed to collapse in on itself.

She tried to scream, but couldn't make a sound.

~~~
April 13th, 1968
Early morning.

Cloud sat up in bed and struggled to catch her breath. It was still dark outside.

Must be the middle of the night, she realized.

She pulled back the covers and wrapped a single blanket around herself, standing to her feet. She had to get some fresh air.

She tip-toed quietly to the kitchen and carefully opened one of the glass sliding doors. She'd sooner die than accidentally wake George Harrison.

Cloud stepped barefoot into the wet, dewy grass. The full moon cast a bright glow over every flower, tree, and bush. It was intensely quiet. The scenery was beautiful, all aglow in milky moonlight.

Her legs took her far, almost to the edge of the property where a high stone wall encircled Kinfauns. The spring air was damp and slightly cold. She stood there for a few minutes, breathing deeply and staring at the moon.

Suddenly, she could've sworn she heard the kitchen door slide open behind her. But when she turned around, nobody was there. The door was perfectly shut.

Funny, Cloud thought to herself. She must've imagined it. She pulled the blanket tighter around herself.

~~~