prologue

Quintessa couldn't get comfortable in Auradon. Ever since she'd come to the realization that she wouldn't be returning to the Isle, her stomach wouldn't settle. She didn't want to return to the Isle, that was for sure, but she felt terribly out of place amongst the proper princesses and princes.

She tried to follow around Carlos, Jay, Mal and Evie but they had fit in so well.  The boys had joined the sports teams, Mal was the soon-to-be-queen of Auradon and Evie was famously known for her fashion skills.  Quin didn't have anywhere to go and nobody else to go to.  So she often sat alone in her room sketching the life she had lived once upon a time.

Back on the Isle, Quin hung out plenty with the other four Auradon-Isle kids—particularly Carlos De Vil—but she didn't spend all her time with them.  Often she would sneak off to a deserted part of the island and sketch the same picture every day.  Only it wasn't the same.  It changed constantly. 

She loved the sunset from the Isle.  It just wasn't quite the same on Auradon.

Another thing that was different here was her love life.  Her mother had no problem with her going off and flirting with boys as long as she didn't get accidentally impregnated or broken-hearted.

Much to her mother's disappointment, Quin wasn't very good at finding boys she liked.  Plenty of girls, sure but she didn't flirt with any of them.  The girls on the island frightened her.  The boys were all mediocre.  Not good enough for Quin or her mother. 

Well, if you don't count Harry.

Quin was sat upon her favourite rock with her sketchbook and pencil.  Today the sky was an even display of pink, purple and blue.  She'd left her colours at home, though, so she decided on shading.

His low hum alerted her of his presence before his voice.

"That's a pretty picture you've drawn, there, princess," His low, Scottish drawl sent a chill down her spine.

Harry Hook was something of a friend to Quin but their relationship was nothing short of complicated.

He'd been her good friend until they turned thirteen.
Harry did something that Quin could never forget. Over time they both matured and grew past the incident.  Quin was able to regain her friendship with the pirate but it wasn't—and probably would never be—as strong as it was when they were kids.

"I haven't seen you at this spot in years," Harry continued speaking, taking a seat in the dirt beside Quin's rock, "D'ya come 'ere often?"

"As often as I can," She tore her gaze from the sky and instead locked eyes with the boy beside her, "I usually come later when there's more colours—or stars—but I'm supposed to be up early tomorrow so I can't stay out late."

"I see," Harry leaned over and examined her sketch again, "You're very talented, Hearts."

"Oh, I know," Quin beamed and ran a gently hand over her work.

Harry smirked up at her admirably. He loved how clearly her eyes reflected the sunsets she drew. Quintessa Hearts was beautiful—the most beautiful girl he'd ever seen. Completely out of his league. But he didn't dare risk anything with her in fear of losing her friendship.  Those two years he was without her were the longest years of his life.

"We should hang out sometime, Quintessa, like the old days." He sunk into a crouch and cautiously wrapped an arm around her shoulders.  She laughed and brushed her fingers over his hand.  He nearly melted at her touch. 

"As much as I would love that, I'm leaving tomorrow and I won't be home for a while," She locked fingers with him and brought the back of his hand to her red lips, "But when I return I'll come find you. I promise."

"I'll be waiting, princess," He said and she flashed one final smile his way.

"See ya, pirate boy."

Leaving Harry with her lingering kiss, Quintessa got to her feet, tucked her sketchbook under her arm and began her treck back to her apartment.