I: worried

"Everytime I get close to her I choke!  I don't know what to do, Tessie, how am I supposed to ask Jane out if I can't even talk to her—are you even listening to me?" Carlos ceased his pacing and stared down at Quin with wide eyes.

She looked up from her sketch and nodded, "Uh huh, you like Jane or whatever."

"You're no help," He slumped down on his bed next to Quin and ran a hand through his hair.

"Hey, it's your fault for coming to me.  I'm like the worst person you could've asked advice of," She shrugged and set her sketchbook on the bed in front of her.  Twisting to face Carlos, she said seriously, "I'm sure you'll figure something out with Jane."

"I hope you're right," Carlos frowned and gazed helplessly at his best friend, "I really like her.  It's so weird, I've never felt like this about anyone before.  Have you?"

Quin squinted and chewed thoughtfully on her thumbnail, "I think so.  Well, kind of.  It was a while ago, didn't even mean anything."

"Who was it?" Carlos propped himself up on his elbow and Quin sighed, a breathy laugh escaping her lips.

"It's embarrassing."

"Come on, you can tell me," Begged Carlos, "I'll only make fun of you a little."

"Oh, you'd never let me live it down if I told you," Quin said, laughing and crossing her legs, "Just forget I said anything."

"You know I can't do that, Tessie." Carlos gave her a serious look and she rolled her eyes, a smile etching itself across her pink-tinted face.

"Then I guess I'll just have to go back to my room," Quin stood to leave but Carlos caught her wrist tightly.

"No, please don't go I still need your help and Jay won't be back for a while." He whined.

"Fine," Quin sat back down on the edge of the bed, "But only because I love you."

"I'd be so lost without you, Quintessa," Carlos smiled up at her, his eyes wide like those of a child.

"I cannot believe you two aren't dating." Another voice came in and both Quin and Carlos looked up at Evie.

Quin scrunched up her face in disgust and looked over at Carlos, whose expression mirrored hers, "Gross, he's like my brother."

"Yeah, gross," Carlos said, "While, we're on the topic of dating, Evie I need some advice-"

Quin gasped in mock betrayal and yanked her arm from Carlos' grasp, "You're going to another woman for help?!"

"You are so annoying," He sat up and punched her lightly in the arm, "And you suck at giving dating advice."

"Yeah well, shut up."

"Anyway," Evie interjected, "I came to get Quin, I wanted to show you the dress I designed for Mal."

"It's about time! Bye Car," Quin at him and followed Evie excitedly out the door, "I'm so excited to see this dress!"

Evie led her down the hall to their shared room.  Since there were five of them, King Ben wasn't sure how to make their sleeping arrangements but the three girls assured them that they would be fine to squeeze into one room. 

Not that much squeezing had to be done, the rooms were massive—at least compared to their rooms on the Isle.

The yellow and blue dress was displayed on a mannequin in the centre of the room.  Mal was off doing princessly things with Ben so Quin wouldn't be able to see the dress on her friend until she returned.

It was a gorgeous dress.  Evie was a very talented designer and everyone knew it.  She absolutely loved making outfits and it was honestly adorable.  Quin liked seeing her friend happy.  Maybe a bit too much considering half of her new closet was made by Evie.

"It's beautiful," Quin complimented, walking up to the mannequin and rubbing the soft fabric between her fingers.

"I came to talk to you about more than just the dress," Evie said, sitting on her bed, "I'm worried about Mal."

Quin pulled away from the mannequin and sat down next to Evie, "Me too.  She seems really stressed."

"She's been using that spellbook of hers again.  I don't think Ben knows."

"Well I sure hope he doesn't, he'd be pissed," Quin almost laughed, "Mal told him she'd donated that to the museum already."

"I know," Sighed Evie, "Do you think there's any way we can get her to actually donate the spellbook?"

Quin just shrugged, "I say let things happen as they will and all will work out in the end."

"That was far too insightful to have just come out of your mouth."

"Hey, I can be philosophical or whatever." Quin cracked a smile.

Evie chuckled softly, "How've you been holding up? You seem distant."

Quin stared solemnly at her hands and sighed, thinking back to her last night on the Isle.  His charming smile resurfaced in her mind and a grin of her own appeared, disappearing quickly as the memory turned bittersweet, "I made a promise back on the Isle."

Evie shifted beside her and Quin hesitated.  It was clear her friend hadn't expected a sob story.

"What was it?" The blue-haired girl seemed genuinely curious.  Quin shook her head and plastered a smile on her face once again.

"Nothing, it's not important," She said, "Forget I mentioned it."

"You know you can tell me anything, right," Evie said gently, "And Carlos.  And Jay, and Mal, you don't have to hide anything from us."

"Yeah, I know."