04. the winter carnival

CHAPTER FOUR
( ! the winter carnival ! )

JULIET ACTUALLY WASN'T in a horrible mood when it came time for lunch

JULIET ACTUALLY WASN'T in a horrible mood when it came time for lunch. And then she heard Andrew's voice and her mood immediately soured. Especially when she knew why she could hear Andrew's voice.

"Listen, man. There is nothing that you need to be ashamed of. Yeah, I heard you're living in Lone Stones building. I know moneys a little tight on that side of town, so really, anything I can do to help out the needy..." Andrew spat.

Juliet fully made her way next to Felix, a hand finding it's way onto his arm. He just frowned in response.

Victor chuckled. "You're just trying to humiliate me because I destroyed you in that basketball game." Andrew just laughed louder. "Oh, you think I give a shit about some stupid gym class basketball game?" Victor nodded. "Yeah. I do."

Juliet watched as people began to crowd around the two and Victor seemed to notice it as well. He quieted down his voice. "Just give everyone their money back."

"You got it." Andrew smiled, knocking into Victor as he walked past. Victors lunch dropped from his hand, everything inside the brown bag falling onto the floor. The crowd 'oooed' and Victor rolled his eyes, bending down to pick up his stuff.

Juliet turned towards Felix, watching as the frown was still plastered on his face. She sighed, going on her toes to lean towards his ear. "Just ignore him. Andrew is just an idiot who likes to hurt the ones he's intimidated by."

"I'm fine." Felix replied, staring forwards. Juliet took a step away from the brunette boy, wrapping her arms around herself. "Okay, fine."

Felix sighed. "Juli—" Juliet put her hand up. "No, I get it. You're fine. I'll drop it." She turned her own gaze back in front of herself.

She'd tell anyone who asked how much she hated how easily defensive she got. How she was always so quick to put any and all blame onto someone else inside her own head even when no one was in the wrong.

She guessed it started when people first started to gossip about her. When she'd hear little whispers from those around her of how their parents said they saw her mom out with some guy who most definitely was not her dad. Or how they'd seen her dad go into the bar during the night and he was still there the next morning.

Juliet had shut all of them up immediately. No one dared to insinuate or even talk about the girls home life. If their parents said something, kids would shut them down and tell them they're crazy. Because Juliet Banville held things close to her heart. And if someone ever poked a little too close, they'd never try that again.

"Ow, ow! Get it, new kid!" Some random jerk yelled, causing a bunch of kids to laugh. Juliets focus went back to the scene as she watched Victor let go of Benjis hand and run off.