VII

a few years later
in front of the door of the drüskelle sector

"This is where we say goodbye Koira. Take care of the country during my absence. Ah, and make sure Mother doesn't put off her folly of putting Rasmus on the throne.If I die-"
"Nix! I mean, Princess! Don't say things like that! You are perfectly trained and will learn many new techniques with Jarl, you will not die!"
"Koira. Let me finish. If I fall into a ravine and have no chance of escaping, or if I mysteriously disappear and need a replacement for the throne, Marie will give you the key to the box in the double bottom of my closet. In it you will find an envelope that contains a document signed by me saying that if any misfortune happens to me and I am no longer fit to rule, you will become King and a new dynasty will be established, your children will succeed you and their children, for several generations if all goes well."
"Your Highness, what have you done?"
"I've planned every way to keep Rasmus from taking the throne. That kid is a psychopath, he likes to hurt others, if he becomes King, it will be a massacre. He's proud of himself and has a huge ego, he will attack anyone who disrespects him without hesitation. You will accept this letter Koira, it is an order."
"As you wish Your Highness."

No sooner had Koira left than the door to the area opened and a boy not much older than Nix greeted her.
He bowed and then moved aside for her to pass. Once the door was closed, he took a deep breath and turned to the princess.

"Welcome Princess, Jarl Brum has assigned me as your guide and support for as long as you are here."
"Basically you'll be watching me and reporting all my moves to Jarl who will go and repeat them to Mother. That snake."

A sneer came over Nix's face and she threw her head back, had a little scoff, before staring into the boy's eyes.

"Listen to me carefully. If I find out you went and told Jarl something bad about me, as soon as I get out of here I'll have you burned to a crisp and prevent your family, your loved ones, from burying your ashes."

The youth looked at her in terror and opened his mouth as if to utter a scream but no sound came out.

"Your name is what?"
"Lýkos Alas, Your Highness."
"I thought that here we would all be equal, Lýkos, don't be afraid, use my name, besides I'm sure we will become great friends!"
"As you wish... Nix....?"
"Perfect. Now take me to our dear Jarl."

Jarl Brum's office

"A real pleasure to have you here Princess!"
"Spare me the formalities Jarl, just get me to sign the damn paper saying I accept all treatment as well as devolve you of all responsibility if anything happens to me."

Jarl handed Nix a sheet of paper.

"Welcome to the drüskelles... Nix."
"Thank you, Commander."
"Lýkos will show you where you will sleep, but don't expect any special treatment."

Without waiting, Nix walked out of the office and tapped Lýkos on the shoulder.

"All right, let's go!"

Lýkos gave Nix a tour while keeping his lips sealed. No explanations, no gossip about his family or possible gossip.
Nix yawned and instead of admiring the place, decorated with frescoes about Djel and the düskelles, stared at the back of Lýkos' head as if trying to read his mind or make him turn around. After 15 minutes of walking, he stopped in front of a simple door.

"This is your room. Our morals dictate that we value mutual aid and community living, so our rooms are shared with a fellow student."

He hesitated for a moment before resuming, as if he expected Nix to make a comment about a princess having to have her own room or something.

"And... since you're the only girl, you'll be with a boy."

Another silence.

"Me."