XXI

The trip was quick because thanks to the strong wind blowing in their direction, they arrived in Finlas in two days instead of three. Even though the trip was fast, it was not easy because Lýkos had spent his time vomiting everywhere. Especially on Nix. Fortunately for them, her antibodies did not let her get sick and she was able to take care of the patient. Lýkos was happy that she was not sensitive to his illness because he could cuddle her as he wanted and was amused by the situation because Nix was taking care of him.

The landing was silent because everyone felt the tension between Ein and Nix. Except for Lýkos, who was not aware of anything and was euphoric to be back on the good old earth. He lay down in the snow and pulled Nix's ankle so that she fell down beside him.

"Let's take a few minutes to savor the stability of our beloved Earth."

Nix smiled and ruffled his hair.

"Only two minutes. Then we're off. We can't risk our targets learning of our arrival and fleeing to Ravka. The mission would be ruined..."

They stayed there until Lýkos got cold from lying in the snow. The group continued on their way and went deeper and deeper into the snowy forest that covered this part of the border. They walked for a long time, always in a straight line, using Lux's and Perse's fair to follow the trail of the Grishas. Night fell and they were forced to stop and set up their tents and a campfire because the temperatures dropped dramatically in this area at night, making it impossible to simply be outside.

Normally, Lýkos and Ein would have shared a tent and Nix would have had the second one alone with the isenulfs. But she fought with Lýkos to sleep together, using the excuse that she was afraid to sleep alone and that his presence would reassure her, but he didn't believe a word of it. The tent then, even though they had taken the biggest one, was getting narrow because there were so many people to fit in.
They shared a meager meal then stuck together to enjoy each other's body heat.

"Why?"
"Why what?"
"I thought you liked Ein, why did you stop me from sleeping with him? And don't give me your stupid excuse about being scared and not being able to sleep if I wasn't with you. I've known you long enough to know when you're lying. And especially to know that you are perfectly capable of sleeping alone in stormy weather."

Nix remained silent for a while and then turned to Lýkos and fixed her eyes in his.

"It's complicated. Let's just say that some things happened when you were sick. Things that make him untrustworthy in my eyes."
"Did he hurt you?"

He abruptly grabbed Nix's face with one hand and looked for any sign of injury on her face and body.

"No. I'm fine."

She brushed his hand away from her face and kept it in hers.

"Trust me and let's sleep. Better be in tip-top shape for tomorrow."

Lýkos didn't answer but closed his eyes then pulled Nix against him so that her head was on his chest and whispered in her ear.

"No more secrets please. I trust you on this one, but... friends don't lie."

Nix had a sad smile that, fortunately, Lýkos did not see.

"You're right. Friends don't lie."

The night was horribly short for Nix. She felt as if she could only close her eyes for a few seconds before she had to get up again because of the sun's rays that pierced the tent fabric. Yawning loudly, she shook Lýkos and went outside to get some fresh air. The temperature outside had warmed up and the wind from last night had died down. Lýkos quickly joined her with Lux and Persé, and they began their morning routine by going for a short jog around their camp. When they returned, Ein was awake, they ate in silence and then broke camp. Ein took the lead, leaving Nix and Lýkos behind. Nix, despite the sun's rays gently warming her skin, was shaking all over.

"What's the matter, Nix? You're shaking like crazy."
"I'm just excited and nervous about what's going to happen..."
"Don't worry. We've been preparing for this moment all these years and you've been doing great. There's nothing to be afraid of, they're clearly no match for our power quartet!"

Nix chuckled and gave Lýkos a slight push. She was about to say something back, but Ein stopped her in her tracks and motioned for them to be quiet. With a wave of his hand, he told them to come closer. When they arrived next to him, they could admire a superb view of three young grishas, who were not older than 16 years old. They didn't seem to have noticed them, which was good news, because it meant that there were no Heartrenders. After a few hours of observation, they showed their abilites. They were dealing with one Inferni and two Squallers.

'It's going to be a breeze. To reveal their powers in the middle of enemy territory, they must be grishas who never made it through the Fold and therefore never had an education on their abilites.'

She leaned towards Ein to whisper in his ear.

"From the looks of it, they are inexperienced, I suggest we send Lux and Perse on a reconnaissance mission to make sure it's not a trap and then we go on the attack tonight."

He took a few seconds to think and then nodded. Nix passed the information to Lýkos and then to the isenulfs. Directly they went to check the surroundings of the grisha camp. After about fifteen minutes they returned and reported that there was nothing there. The group decided to wait until the end of the day to take action.

The night came quietly and the three young grishas fell asleep without worrying about anything. As one, Nix, Ein and Lýkos arrived at their camps. They slowly approached their targets. They were only two steps away from them when they clearly heard the howl of pain of an isenulf. Waking up the grishas, Ein rushed to the source of the howl while Nix and Lýkos, surrounded by the grishas, had to fight without knowing what had happened to Lux and Persé.
As Nix had predicted, they were inexperienced and they managed to knock them out quickly.
While wiping the blood dripping from his sword blade, Lýkos turned to Nix, his eyebrows furrowed.

"Where is Ein? He should be bac-"

He was cut off in mid-sentence. Persephone's lifeless body had just been thrown out of the woods. Lýkos rushed to her side, Nix at his heels. He didn't have time to touch the body because Nix pulled him back, saving him from being decapitated by a Shu blade.
Shifting back into an attack position, Nix worked her brain quickly to find an escape route, seeing the number of Shu mercenaries increase as the seconds ticked by.

"Who hired you?!"

A man stepped forward, dragging a bloodied Ein by the hair and then tossed him in front of him. He began to speak Fjerdan with a heavy accent, making it almost impossible to understand.

"Princess! That man promised us a nice purse if we took your head off your shoulders! But... Seems he has nothing to pay. So we'll take both your heads. Or use you to empty the palace coffers!"