Chapter 5

An hour later, Alec found himself seated at the Nouvelle Eve cabaret, watching a quartet of women dancing and high-kicking their way through a lively rendition of "Excusez Moi." Alec had seen the show, and countless others like it, many times before. Cabarets were one place where users could put their skills to good use, after all. He was more amused watching Benny's expression. This type of show was obviously something entirely new to him and his eyes seemed to grow wider with every kick and cymbal crash.

Foxy had also joined them, but seemed entirely bored by the proceedings, and almost embarrassed at the happenings on stage and even more embarrassed by Benny's enthusiasm.

"You look like a child," he said to Benny.

"Are you kidding?" said Benny. "This is art! You uncultured swine!"

"I really need to figure out who I wronged in a previous life," Foxy said. "That I must now be saddled with you."

"You should be grateful," said Benny, not taking his eyes off the stage. "I'm going to make a man out of you yet!"

In response to this, Foxy merely snorted and returned to his club soda.

Sitting on Alec's left was Karl, the German user they had met the day before. Alec, Foxy, Eddie and Benny had run into him as they were sneaking out through the tunnels and were forced to bring him along. Benny protested vehemently, saying that Karl would most certainly rat them out to the old man if he came along. Alec countered by saying that, if he were not allowed to come, he would be even more inclined to rat them out as a means of retribution. Benny couldn't argue with that logic and reluctantly agreed.

"But I don't want him next to me," Benny said.

And so, here Alec sat, acting as a buffer between two young men whose only real difference was their country of origin. Alec knew that it was more than that, and he had as much reason to carry animosity towards the Germans as Benny did. More, perhaps, as he had been living directly beneath the heel of their boot for the past six months. But, to him, painting every German with the same brush was really no different than what the Nazis were doing to everyone else. Karl seemed like a decent enough person, and he was a user, which should at least have given them all common ground.

Karl was watching the show looking as nonplussed as Alec, calmly sipping his drink and swaying slightly out of time to the music.

"Do you have this type of entertainment in Germany?" Alec asked.

Karl nodded. "Yes," he said. "The Kaberret. Or at least we did until Hitler came into power. Now all of the singers and dancers are gone. Some to other countries and some to the camps."

Karl's face fell slightly as the shame of his countrymen's actions washed over him. Foxy squeezed his shoulder and raised his glass.

"Don't worry, my friend," he said. "We will bring the songs back to Germany."

Karl smiled at this notion and toasted his glass with Foxy.

"I'll drink to that," he said.

As they drank, Alec felt a nudge in his ribs on his right side.

"Get a load of this guy," said Benny, pointing over at a table across the room where Eddie was seated. He was charming a group of young women, who were giggling at his every word. Alec rolled his eyes.

"It helps when you're a pusher," he said. "With a gift like that, even a brute can be a Casanova."

"I guess so," said Benny.

"Do you have a girl back home in the States?" Alec asked.

"Me?" said Benny. "Nah, pugs like me never get the girl. Our faces are too busted up to bring home to mom, if you know what I mean. Foxy is my best gal now."