| Katie |

I was breathless as the orange and yellow rays burst forth from the horizon, engulfing the autumn woods and my entire form in warmth. The sun was nearly blinding as it sunk deeper and deeper into the sky, but I didn't care because it was absolutely amazing. There were so many reds and pinks, yellows and oranges, I felt like I was at a light show.

Ben had brought me up to this cliff to see the sunset wash over the changing forest. He knew that while I loved autumn for the colorful leaves, cool breezes, and pumpkin spice lattes, my favorite part was the sunset. No matter how many times I saw the sky change from day to night, it never got any less beautiful.

"Everything you imagined?" Ben whispered from my right.

I couldn't even speak as I stared out at the spectacle so I just nodded.

He laughed, the sound easy and light, quiet but so impactful on me. In the past year, his laugh had impressed on me to an extent that I didn't think I could forget it, even if I tried. Every time I heard his familiar chuckle, an airy, barely audible laugh, I knew that it was Ben. It was always Ben.

"I can't believe that I've lived here for nearly three years now and never seen the sunset from this cliff," I whispered in reverence. I shook my head, a grin pulling at the corners of my lips. "All it took was for a newcomer to show me the best spot in my town." I glanced over at Ben, my eyes sparkling with jest.

His warm, deep green eyes met mine, looking as open and kind as always. "So this was a good birthday date choice?"

I laughed, scooting closer to him. He automatically wrapped his arm around my shoulders and I snuggled into the crook of his neck that seemed to fit me perfectly. I inhaled deeply, smelling his familiar scent of coffee with a hint of vanilla, the smell of the cafe at the bookshop we worked at. "Definitely," I sighed.

His warmth seeped into my side and made me relax more than I thought possible. Ben always seemed to do that. From his always slightly messy dark brown hair, to his one little dimple, to the way he always knew exactly the joke to lighten my mood; all of him made everything in me better. And I didn't realize just how much until that moment.

"Ben," I murmured as my eyes drooped slightly. The sun was barely peeking over the tops of the trees now and deep inky blue seeped into the lingering pink at the edges of the sky.

"Hm?"

I looked down and slipped my left hand into his right, intertwining our fingers. His hand practically swallowed mine, but it was comforting in a way. "What if I told you that I love you?"

I slowly looked up to meet his eyes. He looked down at me, his gaze so intense I felt myself become trapped in the swirling pools of his emerald eyes. They were almost unearthly in how rich in color they were and it was just another thing that sent my heart pounding when I was near to him.

Finally, after a long moment where I was unsure he would answer, he mumbled, "What if I told you I love you, too?"

My heart exploded in warmth and admiration, with a little relief thrown in. I felt my face break into a wide smile, and I bit my bottom lip, trying to subdue it a little.

He released his hand from my grip and ran his thumb over my mouth, freeing my lip from my bite. I felt my cheeks warm at how gentle he was, how enticing his touch was.

Then he was leaning down, his hand sliding back to caress the back of my head, and he was kissing me.

I never thought I would find someone like Ben, but in that moment, in the fading sunlight and wrapped in his arms, I couldn't remember not having him.

A/N I know this was a short first part but I promise they (slowly XD) get bigger. Any initial thoughts, comments, or predictions?? XD ----->