Chapter 8

Ryder's POV

         "Can I get you two anything else?" I ask, glancing at the older couple who was currently sitting at a table I was serving.

The older man smiled. "That's all."

I nodded, putting my pad of paper in the pocket of my apron. "I'll be right back with those iced teas."

I turn around and exhale deeply, rushing past the crowds of people. The restaurant was packed today. And I mean packed.

"You look like you're about to drop dead, Mackenzie," Nick chuckled, coming beside me.

I sighed, grabbing two cups near the drink station we had in the back.

"I've been working for seven hours. I was supposed to be off an hour ago." Sometimes you just can't get away from work.

Nick laughed as he poured some orange soda into a cup. "What's on your mind?"

Football.
Azalea.
Mom.

"Nothing." I grab the two iced teas and spot a few people walking in from the front. I nod towards Nick. "Would you mind serving those people?"

Nick glanced over at the front and grinned. "Yeah, bro. Take it easy."

"Thanks, man." I sigh, rushing back out. I walk over to the elderly couple and set the drinks down. "You two ready to order?"

The older woman smiled. "Yes. I'll start off with the Crab Salad."

"Crab Salad," I repeat to myself as I write that down. I then look at the older man. "And for you sir?"

"I'll take-"

"Ryder!"

I look up and find Nick walking over to me as he held a few plates in his hand. "Some girl is here to see you."

I frown at him, glancing up at the front. There were multiple girls. "Who?"

He shrugged. "I don't know. Some chick. Seemed pretty urgent."

Azalea?

"Okay do you mind taking their order?" I hand Nick the paper with his empty hand and didn't even give him a chance to reply. I was already walking towards the front.

My brain was looking for Azalea but my eyes found someone else.

Dread washed over me.

Kate.

I thought I got rid of her.

She was sat down on the booth in the waiting area. When she looked up and saw me, her face lit up. She stood up and walked over to me.

"It's so good to see you!" She wrapped her arms around me but I instantly picked her off of me as confusion flowed through my veins. "What are you doing here?"

She seemed a bit taken off guard but flashed a smile. "What are you talking about?" She reached up but I grabbed her wrist, forcing it away from me.

"No. What are you doing here?"

Her eyes twinkled as she crossed her arms. "Ryder, I came to see you."

I almost glared at her but I didn't. I just stared at her with annoyance. "Please leave."

She put up a finger. "Hold that thought." She shuffled through her purse until she drew out her phone. "Do you prefer red glitter or gold glitter?"

I looked at her with confusion. "What?"