CHAPTER II

ONE WEEK LATER

JUNE 20TH, 2024.

Fisi replayed the video of the Protectors' news conference in which they publicly announced their behind-the-scenes tour of the CIC Headquarters. "Hmhmhmhm... nice try, children," he said mockingly. "Unfortunately, there will be no media personnel allowed on the premises. And once the trap is sprung and you're sent fleeing with your tails between your legs, you'll be nothing but a bunch of paranoid, useless non-entities with nothing to show for all your efforts to expose me." He threw his head back and broke out in a round of joyful cackling.

Eve barely stopped herself from rolling her eyes. "It's almost time, Fisi," she reminded him. "Everything's ready on my end. What about yours?"

"Oh, yes-yes-yes, of course." Fisi rubbed his hands together. "Everything is perfect. They won't know what hit them until it's too late."

"They better not. If this fails, everything we've worked for goes down the drain." Eve headed for the office exit, but paused before leaving and turned back around. "And Fisi?"

"Yes, Eve?" Fisi asked, looking up at her.

Eve smiled. "I can't wait to see the show."

Fisi grinned broadly. "Neither can I."

"

"Icarus, you flew too close to the sun..."

Cameron's eyes snapped open.

"Oh! You're awake."

"Huh?" Cameron squinted at Zechariah, who was hunched over her with an amused expression on his face.

"I was just about to come get you," he told her, smiling. "It's almost time for the tour."

"Oh." Cameron rubbed her eyes and sat up on the couch, where she had dozed off. "What... what time is it?"

"7:45," Zechariah responded, sitting down next to Cameron. "Ten minutes to the rendezvous. Are you ready?"

Cameron nodded groggily. "Yeah. Yeah, I'm ready." She stood up, yawned, stretched, and let out a long sigh. "Totally ready."

Zechariah frowned. "Did you have the dream again?" he asked, concerned.

"Uh-huh." Cameron stretched out her wings, which encompassed the entire length of the living room, and swished her tail feathers back and forth. "Hopefully, it'll stop happening after tonight," she said, flapping her wings slowly in order to loosen them up.

"What makes you think that?"

"Call it a hunch."

"I've never been fond of hunches." Zechariah stood up and massaged his wife's shoulders as she continued to flex her wings. "Just... be careful, alright?" he murmured. "Don't let your guard down. Fisi's bound to have something dastardly in store for you."