Holiday Foe (Heist Pt 4) [thief!Bucky x reader]

Characters: Bucky, reader, Rachel (ofc), Wanda, Tony Stark (mentioned) and a special guest. :D

Summary: When a friend calls you in distress, you request Bucky's expertise again to solve the problem. What you didn't expect was to find a part of Bucky's past to resurface and disrupt the life you'd built together. Can your relationship and foundation of trust hold up against this new challenge? And what does the future hold for you and Bucky? (art thief!Bucky AU)

Warnings: none, really. Tiny bit of angst and smidge of sexytimes. ;)

Word Count: 8.6k

Author's Note: I'm baaaaack!! Kinda. Ha! I've been working on some fics here and there but time and motivations are strange, untameable beasts. I'm so excited to share this new chapter! Please let me know your thoughts. I've missed you all. Thank you for your support and patience. :)

___________________________________

 ~I need your help, Y/N.~

~I'm sorry, I didn't know where else to turn.~

~Please call as soon as you can.~

The first thing you saw upon checking your phone midway through your workday was a short string of texts from a friend that had you worried. Checking the time, you gave notice to your assistant that you'd be in the office, walked inside, and locked the door.

That evening as you stepped out of a cab and up the steps to your New York brownstone's front door, nervous flutters grew in your stomach. Hanging up your coat, you caught smells and sounds coming from the kitchen along with idle whistling, which made you smile even now. Those flutters were still frequent under normal circumstances now that you got to come home to James Buchanan Barnes, reformed art thief.

Well. Mostly reformed.

Following the sounds, you spotted him standing at the stovetop with his back to you, wearing those perfectly fitted trousers you loved and a button-down shirt with the sleeves rolled up to the elbow. Swoon. He hadn't heard you yet so you allowed yourself to linger in the doorway, enjoying the view. You loved to watch him moved about the kitchen, drying his hands and throwing a dish towel over his shoulder. He spotted you then and you stepped forward, meeting him half way.

"Hey, gorgeous," Bucky grinned, pressing a kiss to your lips with an arm wrapped around your waist. The other hand still held a spatula.

"Hi," you replied, returning the smile.

"Dinner's about ready. Do you want to grab some glasses and pour the wine?" he asked, turning back to the stove.

"Sure."

As you poured the wine and took a sip, Bucky dished out what looked like an amazing pasta dish, even adding a sprig of parsley for garnish. Your boyfriend had grown to enjoy cooking over the past year and you were the lucky taste tester. Setting the dishes on the dining table, Bucky pulled out your chair and you slipped into it, offering the second wine glass to him as he settled in the seat across from you.

"Cheers, my love," Bucky declared, clinking his glass against yours before taking a sip.

"Mm. This looks incredible, Bucky. Thank you for dinner," you said, reaching over to give his hand an affectionate squeeze.

"Of course. I tried something new so I hope it turned out," his lips tugged nervously as you both picked up your forks. "So, how was your day?"

Giving yourself a moment, you took a bite and savored it. Moaning in pleasure, you gave Bucky a nod and swallowed. "Wow. Well done, handsome. So good. Today was, um...work was fine. I did get a strange text from a friend, though," you began, taking another bite.